Montana Wolf Hunt

Coyot-n

I’m 46y/o Iowa resident and I’ve hunted everything in NA except a wolf I do it all diy with a hunting buddy and we were planning a trip heading to Mt for 10 days early March to target wolfs only. We have seen them while Elk and Bear hunting and haven’t gotten one yet, and I desire one.
We planned this trip but I just found out he can’t go due to family obligations. I still want to go but I’m concerned about being alone in the back country with no cell service and no one looking for me at the end of the day. So I thought I’d see if anyone out their might want a hunting partner to target wolfs I planned for 10 days starting May 9 but that can be changed if needed, I am fully equipped with my own gear and have spent a lot of time in the Mt mountains in the spring and fall just never the winter time. I do live in Iowa so I’m used to the cold and snow. I have a snowmobile and utv with track drive although I would prefer not to trailer them this trip. Or I could move it to the end of Feb. for the full moon.

If anyone is interested send me a message and we’ll talk and go put some fur down.

Last edited:
If you spend anytime out of cell service you should really think about a Inreach Mini or the like. It just makes too much sense.

Where in MT did you plan on going?

Second the inreach they're nice to have and touch base back home. Not sure I'd be up for a 10 day dog hunt you must have a fire in you pretty bad for a glorified German Shepard. Good luck on your adventure and hopefully you connect on one or ten;) im rooting for ya!

Wow! Nice offer, and I'm all set up.

But, March is when my little business really starts taking off each year. I need the spring money.

Doggone it. Pun, kinda intended.

Guy

Sounds interesting. With such an elusive creature too bad you cant get a bear tag in your pocket at the same time like Idaho.

You can bear hunt in Idaho in March?
I’m open to a location I’ve been hunting down around Ennis the last few years, but we’ve been all the way up to the NW corner as well. We’ve seen several wolfs in the Ennis area over the years and being the wintering/calving grounds for elk I’m sure it would be a good area.

If this doesn’t pan out since I lost my hunting buddy, maybe I’ll go up to my cabin in Ontario and see what I can find to hunt their.

That in reach is probably a good idea but I’ve always hunted with a partner and radios/gps tracking us and keeping us in communication so it wasn’t needed.

Be aware that a lot of the places that the elk winter South of Ennis are closed till May 15 such as bear creek and wall creek wma's.

I looked up Idaho and looks like April 1st is the earliest for bear. What's your plan? All spot and stalk or a whole lot of calling so a chance at incidentals like coyote's and maybe a few cats?

A lot of calling, along with riding the roads looking for tracks. I think I just read that Mt now allows electronic calls but I’ll check on that, otherwise I have tons of mouth calls as well.

Coyote and kitty cat hunting will be fun at least for entertainment. Fall Bear hunting ‘18 I shot 17 coyotes from across the road from the campground. Every night they were over their howling in the open area I’d grab the 6.5 Grendel and walk over their and get 2-3 in a flurry of lead.

I won’t be at work, I will be in the west where I love it, playing in the mountains. After that I don’t care...

A lot of calling, along with riding the roads looking for tracks. I think I just read that Mt now allows electronic calls but I’ll check on that, otherwise I have tons of mouth calls as well....

Electronic calls ARE legal for wolf and coyote in Montana. But NOT for bears, lion, deer, elk etc.

A lot of calling, along with riding the roads looking for tracks. I think I just read that Mt now allows electronic calls but I’ll check on that, otherwise I have tons of mouth calls as well.

Coyote and kitty cat hunting will be fun at least for entertainment. Fall Bear hunting ‘18 I shot 17 coyotes from across the road from the campground. Every night they were over their howling in the open area I’d grab the 6.5 Grendel and walk over their and get 2-3 in a flurry of lead.

I won’t be at work, I will be in the west where I love it, playing in the mountains. After that I don’t care...

I too may need new readers. 2-3 coyotes a night for a total of 17 all out of one field across from a campground. Sounds like,,,,,utopia.

Back