Caribou Gear

Wyoming 2019 Regs

I like the fact that the elk application has to be completed early actually. Because of that, they get the results out early. With that timing, I have the results of the WY application before I hit the deadlines for the NM applications. I don't have tons of funds available to put out there in advance....so the fact that they are staggered allows me to work on application for WY...and then if not drawn, put in for the other state. Is that 2020 deadline adjustment already set in stone, or something just being considered?

On the fee.. Wyoming changed it so that you only get charged if you draw, correct? So wouldn't the cc fee only be levied against the amount of the app fee, and only applied to the tag fee if successful in the draw?

On the fee.. Wyoming changed it so that you only get charged if you draw, correct? So wouldn't the cc fee only be levied against the amount of the app fee, and only applied to the tag fee if successful in the draw?

No, still have to pay up front when you apply.

You're right. Colorado was the one that changed it.

2.5% is pretty significant on the price of some of those tags.

Man no doubt. For moose and sheep, it'll cost around $200 for the point and processing fee. Yikes.

I like the fact that the elk application has to be completed early actually. Because of that, they get the results out early. With that timing, I have the results of the WY application before I hit the deadlines for the NM applications. I don't have tons of funds available to put out there in advance....so the fact that they are staggered allows me to work on application for WY...and then if not drawn, put in for the other state. Is that 2020 deadline adjustment already set in stone, or something just being considered?

It was voted on and approved by the Commission already and the changes now have to be written up changing the Statute to that effect and then that has to be approved by the Commission. All of that isn't able to be accomplished quick enough to take effect until the 2020 season, so only 2019 stays the same as in the past.

I like the early app date also, but I have some hope that pushing the date back may reduce overall NR applications. In January almost nobody has an out-of-state tag, by June most other states have conducted their drawings.

I also had the same hope about the price increase, seems like good hunting sells itself regardless though.

They didn't know. Actually one of the people I talked to said that the 2.5% wasn't final yet.

I'm awaiting a call back.

Did you hear anything back? I sure hope it doesn't lead down a rabbit hole and end up like my phone bill with 13 line items of extra service fees....

I like the early app date also, but I have some hope that pushing the date back may reduce overall NR applications. In January almost nobody has an out-of-state tag, by June most other states have conducted their drawings.

I also expect the later drawing date to weed out some less dedicated NR hunters. I imagine a lot of people just throw their name in the hat for top units for the heck of it, knowing they can apply elsewhere if they don't draw. I know that would be my approach. It may retard point creep a little.

WY apps increase every year; price increase, bad weather, prayers and hope have had no effect in reversing that trend.

I believe I have the nr app totals going back a few years on my home pc.
Dept says 6.95% elk deer Antelope in 2017 and almost 12% last two years.

Last edited:
WY apps increase every year; price increase, bad weather, prayers and hope have had no effect in reversing that trend.

Any bets on a soft economy's impact resulting in a decrease in applications by non-residents? I predict by 2023 that WY non-resident elk applications (points only plus applications for tags) are down 10% from 2018.

Why? Several factors. I predict the economy will retract and will be job loss so the $1000 bull elk tag (add up 7 years of points and then the tag and $1000 understates the cost) will be a bridge too far. Some unemployed or underemployed hunters may buy the $100 point (you can bet with $150 sheep and $150 moose points that non-resident elk is going up before 2023) but some will just walk away.

Currently, non-residents that built points on the comparatively cheap for the past decade for elk/deer/pronghorn are in the process of burning off max points with the increased costs to buy the tag but few hunters want to hunt 3 species in one year so need 2 or 3 years to burn up those points. Much like CO where 20+ points is where point creep is for better elk and deer units, some non-resident hunters will not be getting back in line for WY where 20 points is the future for better units. Buying $2000 of points then paying $1000 or more for the tag is just not a price nor a length of time many will accept. Other states are hitting $1000 for bull elk and that means more hunters are either hunting WY or MT or CO or ID but no longer doing 2 non-resident elk hunts in a year.

And, we are a shrinking population of aging big game hunters that venture into the woods out West.

I could be wrong but we all know WY F&G can only milk the non-residents so much. When 100s of non-residents walked away form a decade-plus of sheep and moose points you can say the milking is headed for an accelerating strategy of getting more $$$ from each of the remaining non-residents. $4K for a bison? Okay, sheep are "worth" a bison hunt. Heck, I can go blast a bison for under $6K every month of the year. I can't do a sheep hunt every month, though. Heck, upward and onward with the pricing. We will see how elk applications total up in 2023.

Any bets on a soft economy's impact resulting in a decrease in applications by non-residents? I predict by 2023 that WY non-resident elk applications (points only plus applications for tags) are down 10% from 2018.

Why? Several factors. I predict the economy will retract and will be job loss so the $1000 bull elk tag (add up 7 years of points and then the tag and $1000 understates the cost) will be a bridge too far. Some unemployed or underemployed hunters may buy the $100 point (you can bet with $150 sheep and $150 moose points that non-resident elk is going up before 2023) but some will just walk away.

Currently, non-residents that built points on the comparatively cheap for the past decade for elk/deer/pronghorn are in the process of burning off max points with the increased costs to buy the tag but few hunters want to hunt 3 species in one year so need 2 or 3 years to burn up those points. Much like CO where 20+ points is where point creep is for better elk and deer units, some non-resident hunters will not be getting back in line for WY where 20 points is the future for better units. Buying $2000 of points then paying $1000 or more for the tag is just not a price nor a length of time many will accept. Other states are hitting $1000 for bull elk and that means more hunters are either hunting WY or MT or CO or ID but no longer doing 2 non-resident elk hunts in a year.

And, we are a shrinking population of aging big game hunters that venture into the woods out West.

I could be wrong but we all know WY F&G can only milk the non-residents so much. When 100s of non-residents walked away form a decade-plus of sheep and moose points you can say the milking is headed for an accelerating strategy of getting more $$$ from each of the remaining non-residents. $4K for a bison? Okay, sheep are "worth" a bison hunt. Heck, I can go blast a bison for under $6K every month of the year. I can't do a sheep hunt every month, though. Heck, upward and onward with the pricing. We will see how elk applications total up in 2023.

I have a hard time believing that there will be a decrease in NR apps. Going into 2017, there just over 67,000 people with elk points. Going into 2019, there are almost 88,000 NR with elk preference points. Western hunting just gets more and more popular every year. I guess if we have another big recession, it could happen but probably only for a year or two.

Also, I'm quite amazed how little effect going up to $150 per sheep point had on apps. Almost none. Haven't really looked at moose yet.

I haven't seen any opinions yet on the new Deer Regions "Q" and "L." Looks like they split the old Region E into two Regions. Is this something that was known and has already been discussed on here? If so, I missed it. Curious of why they are doing this and the points that will be required to draw either of the new Regional deer licenses, as I was considering applying for a Region E tag next year.

Back