Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Yellowstone- "Somewhat" Avoiding The Crowds?

We may do Yellowstone on the kids' fall break in 2020. We're doing Black Hills next October, should be a good starter trip west for them and the wife since it's a significantly shorter drive. I'm blessed with enough vacation time to do 2 weeks off in the fall, one for a family trip and one for a hunt.

I've never thought about going early in the spring, I'm sure that would be a nice time to visit as well. Good luck with your planning.

Perhaps a gentle reminder.......spring in OP's N Carolina is still deep of winter in most of Yellowstone park. Layers and cold weather gear are required packing for every month of the year. Depending on elevation, snow is not out of the question in June and into July.

An oldie but a goodie joke......Jackson Wyoming has two seasons.......July 4th and winter.

I just went this past May. We went the second week and there were still some roads closed (some also opened while we were there). The crowd sizes weren't terrible but there were some tour buses, so the touristy stops could get crowded from time to time. I dont think I'd enjoy myself there during the summer with larger crowds. We were able to find 2 grizzlies, a moose, a bunch of sheep, bison, elk, deer, antelope, totes, fox, I guess basically everything but a wolf. Restaurants in Jackson weren't crowded and we really enjoyed town.

The downsides were, the water was not suitable for fishing, the gondola in teton village was closed and like mentioned earlier, no antlers on elk/deer.

My wife and I like to visit the Yellowstone backcountry after Labor Day when the visitor throngs diminish and the mosquitoes are not quite so pesky. The foliage begins to take on beautiful colors, the berries are ripe, and the stream crossings are easier.

P1010138.jpgP1010131.jpgP1010113.jpg

YNP is 2,200,000 acres. Conservatively, 2,100,000 acres of that is off pavement away from "crowding". You can go during anytime of peak season, put on a daypack, strap on some bear spray, and take day hikes allover the park and see some really nice stuff. There are remarkable things in that park that the hoardes never see. Including great back country fishing a mile from the pavement. Just an idea......

Last edited:
YNP is 2,200,000 acres. Conservatively, 2,100,000 acres of that is off pavement away from "crowding". You can go during anytime of peak season, put on a daypack, strap on some bear spray, and take day hikes allover the park and see some really nice stuff. There are remarkable things in that park that the hoardes never see. Including great back country fishing a mile from the pavement. Just an idea......

You still have to get where you're going which is a lot easier without massive bear jams and cars stopping when there's a buff standing in the road.

If you are in a big yank to get to whatever destination and your travel mode is zoom-zoom-zoom, I respectfully request that you stay out of Yellowstone. Otherwise, apply the brakes, take a deep breath, and enjoy the flowers, fauna, and jams.

(Note: Travel to the trailhead is easier before 6 am.)

If you are in a big yank to get to whatever destination and your travel mode is zoom-zoom-zoom, I respectfully request that you stay out of Yellowstone. Otherwise, apply the brakes, take a deep breath, and enjoy the flowers, fauna, and jams.

(Note: Travel to the trailhead is easier before 6 am.)

There is absolutely no realistic expectation that the worst "small town" drivers known to humanity - BozAngelites - change their driving habits, leaving their sense of entitlement at the Gardiner Arch..........................

There is absolutely no realistic expectation that the worst "small town" drivers known to humanity - BozAngelites - change their driving habits, leaving their sense of entitlement at the Gardiner Arch..........................

I don't know about that.. I've lived in the park while working (see those nice new lodges at the Canyon?) and the foreign drivers scared me more than anything, bears and buff included.

I don't know about that.. I've lived in the park while working (see those nice new lodges at the Canyon?) and the foreign drivers scared me more than anything, bears and buff included.

I've found this to be true as well.

Thus the suggestion to avoid the paved parts of paradise (ie, Canyon Village) and put on your boots and head out across the vast majority of Wonderland;)

well, I don't know how you avoid the paved parts when you need to get somewhere, but I've only lived in the place and worked there year round so what do I know.

You fellas carry on.

well, I don't know how you avoid the paved parts when you need to get somewhere, but I've only lived in the place and worked there year round so what do I know.
Calm down. The suggestion was to hike to get off the pavement. If you need to get somewhere like Shoshone Lake, then you certainly are not going to be on the pavement! Anyone who has spent time living and working there knows that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back