2019 WY General Units Archery vs Rifle-West vs East Units

TN VOL

Hey guys..I’ve appreciated everyone’s advice to me over the last year..went on my first elk hunt with my 2 teenage sons in Montana DIY this year..didn’t get an elk but was an incredible experience..this year we will have 2 pref points going into the draw for Wyoming. I’ve looked at SE general units: 9-15, 21, etc.(Sierra Madres and Snowy Mtns)
Other units I’ve looked at are Wyoming Range 92, 94, etc.. The questions I have are..is the hunting experience better for archery in these general units vs rifle season? We want to harvest any elk..any elk will be a trophy. My thoughts at first were to apply for type 6 tags for my sons and get to know an area..this will be one of my sons’ last year being a youth hunter and was thinking of just applying for the general tag for him due to the tag being much cheaper. My thoughts were that we’d see more elk in archery and less hunters..but maybe I’m wrong..also are the west general units less crowded than the units around Laramie/Saratoga? Feel free to PM me or comment..thanks again for any advice!
-Merry Christmas, TN VOL

That was a large fire in unit 94! Wonder if that’d be a good burn to hunt in 2019..I’ve heard and read where some burns can be productive the very next year but also they can take a couple years for new vegetation to start growing due to the fires intensity or level of heat..hows the hunter traffic in 94 or the General areas in that region during rifle season??

Units 21 and 13 on east side are excellent hunting with no shortage of land to hunt.They do see a lot of hunters from Laramie and Cheyenne though
I've hunted both areas your talking about but was on a LE unit on west side.Found elk in both areas,more people in the east,more wilderness in West where I hunted.Id say your odds with 2 points may not be great in regular draw this year for general

I was wondering about our odds this year..point creep keeps growing!

Think it was 2 1/2 points last year to guarantee general in regular.In special draw you'll get tags

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back