222Rem-55gr V-Max
223AI-64gr BSB
6BR Rem-68gr Bart’s
6BR Rem-65-V-Max
243 Rem-85gr Nosler Solid Base
6.5-257RobAI-140 Elite Hunter
308 Win-180 Elite Hunter
30-06-180 Elite Hunter

I don’t polish cases. They shoot the same either way.

IMG_20190120_152321.jpg as shown left to right. .22 lr, .243 win, 7mm08 rem, .280 Rem and a 20 ga 3\4 oz slug. Not shown in this picture is my .270 as I retired it for the 7mm08, don't get me wrong the .270 win is a great cal except for the one I got. Would have been better as a single shot rifle. I am also in the market for a .17 HMR in the near future.

Last edited:
.22lr, .308, 30-06, 20 gauge, 12 gauge

Killed lots of birds with my 12 gauge Winchester pump, killed the most big game with 30-06 out of my 1917 and Remington 760 (sold the 760). But the .308 is catching up and is now my primary big game cartridge.

I read an article a few years back about a guy that shot all of the North American 29 with one rifle, a 7mag. That is pretty cool in my book.

Last edited:
.22, .223/5.56, .243, .308, and 12 gauge. I have an itch for 7mm/08, maybe soon.

I read an article a few years back about a guy that shot all of the North American 29 with one rifle, a 7mag. That is pretty cool in my book.

Then there's this book by a fellow who hunted all the North American big game species with his 30-06 Remington:

FAeM6Dfl.jpg

Guy

Love the creative pictures, I'll just try and list in chronologic order:
22lr
30-30
30-06
300 ultra
Now pretty much just use a bow and 300 win mag for everything since I rarely hunt small game or coyotes anymore

I have a 22mag, 243, 280, 30-06, .50ml, 20 gauge slug gun.

.22lr
.17 WSM
30-30
12ga
.50ML
Compound Bow

Thinking about getting back into the recurve.

Last edited:
I have a creedmore and i dont have a man bun. But i will say some of yall shooting 150lb deer with 300 wm looks like your compensating for some thing

Yep. With iron sights too. Very impressive.

The fellow who wrote the book "One Man, One Rifle, One Land" used a scope - a Redfield as I recall - for his hunting. It's mentioned several times in the book and is on the rifle in all the photos.

I was impressed with how simple his rifle, scope and ammo were, to accomplish such an amazing task. Just a basic Rem 700 ADL 30-06 and a simple scope, combined with that 165 gr Nosler Partition. Pretty basic stuff right there. No doubt, he made a good choice opting for the heavier 200 gr bullet for some of the really big game.

The book is well worth reading. Each species hunted is a separate chapter. He talks about the animal, how it operates in the environment, then gets into the hunt. Sometimes he had to make two or three hunts to actually close with and take the animal. That's hunting. Very well written. Great photos too!

Regards, Guy

I have a creedmore and i dont have a man bun. But i will say some of yall shooting 150lb deer with 300 wm looks like your compensating for some thing
I've killed lots of antelope with a .300 RUM. If you are going to compensate, do it right. mtmuley

The fellow who wrote the book "One Man, One Rifle, One Land" used a scope - a Redfield as I recall - for his hunting. It's mentioned several times in the book and is on the rifle in all the photos.

I was impressed with how simple his rifle, scope and ammo were, to accomplish such an amazing task. Just a basic Rem 700 ADL 30-06 and a simple scope, combined with that 165 gr Nosler Partition. Pretty basic stuff right there. No doubt, he made a good choice opting for the heavier 200 gr bullet for some of the really big game.

The book is well worth reading. Each species hunted is a separate chapter. He talks about the animal, how it operates in the environment, then gets into the hunt. Sometimes he had to make two or three hunts to actually close with and take the animal. That's hunting. Very well written. Great photos too!

Regards, Guy

You are absolutely right. The guy I'm thinking of was Grancel Fitz. He is the one that took every animal on the B&C list with an iron sighted 30-06 Springfield back in the 1930's and 40's.

Still impressive for both parties!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/rifles/2005/09/can-one-gun-do-it-all

Last edited:

Regards, Guy

I mentioned this young lady before but when reading this thread and remembering the book One Man, One Rifle, One Land, it reminded me of her again. Guy is also aware of and communicates with this young lady. She lives in the Territories of Canada and started her hunting career with one rifle, a 30-06. White, Brown, Black bears, Walrus, Muskox, Moose, Elk, Caribou, Wolf, Bison, and goat and sheep were all harvested with that one 30-06. She now uses a 348, with iron sights. With everyone wanting more rifles, more speed, better scopes, further distance, etc, ( except Brent ) I think it is interesting that she is still hunting in the same manner as described in the book---BTW, IMHO, the book is worth 40 dollars if that is what it costs today. Great read..

Great thread Guy

Last edited:
Upside and down side to open sight's. They are a lot tuffer than a scope and will take a drop or fall better. But they don't handle light near as well as a scope. If your eyesight is going south, the scope pretty much correct's that. At this point in my life I can still shoot open sight's but it's a real challenge. But I use a 2 3/4x scope on y 30-06 and mostly 2-7x and 3-9x on everything else and shoot on the lowest power's. I have no problem seeing with them! Of course the tuffness of them come's into question if you fall of drop the rifle. The open sight of choice for me would be the rear peep sight and then only with the insert removed. By doing that it light's up the aperture considerably and the front site is naturally drawn to the center of the peep where the light is most concentrated! I had an uncle, gone a bit over 50 yrs now, that used a mod 94 in 30-30 with a fold down read peep mounted behind the action, great set up although I suspect being up on the folding post might not take a fall to well! But otherwise it worked really well!

These days, the feeling seem's to be a higher power scope that allows you to see the target better. But most the people I've known that use them are more like me and shoot them on lower power. But there are a lot of us that still like low fixed power scopes, I think most of us are older and eye sight it not all it used to be. I still use two fixed power scopes, a 2 3/4x and a 4x.

Don and Europe, you guys know that you can have eyecups made for many rear aperture sights that will hold a lens. For a lot of folks, a 0.5+ or similar diopter lens can make a lot of difference. I have not done this myself, but that day is coming. Also, rear apertures can be bought or made with different sizes of apertures for different situations. Some are even more or less instantly adjustable. Jut another option if you like irons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back