PEAX Equipment

Reduce weight on Ruger varmint rifle

JohnyRingo

I am trying to sell a Ruger M77 Mark II 22-250 without much luck. It has a bull barrel and a laminate target stock. It probably weighs 12-13 pounds. Since I bought a Tikka 243, I rarely shoot this rifle because of its weight. If I can't sell it, I was thinking of replacing the stock with something lightweight and replacing the barrel with a sporter barrel. Has anyone here done something like this with a similar Ruger?

Bell and Carlson makes a Carbelite stock for under $200. I was thinking of getting a 22" replacement barrel for around $200. I would probably have another $200 into it for gunsmithing. Does this sound doable for $600?

I just want a decent varmint gun that I actually feel like packing around a little and letting my son use when he gets a little older.

For $600 I'd probably just buy another rifle. Let the Ruger go for cheap and you're even further ahead.

Seems a bit low on the prices to get a good barrel installed, but IMO the Ruger would be great for a semi-custom rifle. For the stocks, I'd likely lean towards a laminate stock (factory or Boyds) over a Carbelite at about the same price.

If you like the twist rate of the barrel and how it shoots, you could probably get the current barrel turned down to a sporter configuration cheaper than rebarrelling it...

Great thing about your plan is you can set it up exactly how you'd like, but it is not probably going to be cheaper than buying a "decent" varmint gun. The 1-8" twist Ruger American's 22-250s at Whittakers are hard to beat for the price!
https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/1704071440207

Good idea on the converting the barrel into a sporter. I am going to check into that. I am also going to check with my local gunsmith to see what suggestions he has. I just don't want a rifle to just sit in my cabinet and not get used. That's happening now and if I end up buying a different rifle. If I put a little money into it, it will get used and used a lot.

I had the same rifle and also had a hard time selling it. I let it go for $350 and kinda wish I kept it as it was a tack driver. I bought a 22-250 barrel for my encore and sold the Ruger and I was never was able to get the encore to shoot as good. If it were me, i think I would see about getting the barrel fluted and drop it in to a lighter stock.

Yep. I am checking with a couple of gunsmiths about turning the barrel into a sporter. Plus, the rifle was a wedding present from my wife and it might make her happier if I keep it and shoot it a little more.

A present from my wife in the form of a rifle would never get sold and likely never get altered. But, that's just me...

A present from my wife in the form of a rifle would never get sold and likely never get altered. But, that's just me...

I hear you. I did ask her very gingerly about it. She said she didn't care and didn't even recognize it when I showed her the rifle. She gave me the clearance to sell it or modify it so that I was getting some use out of it.

It’s a very accurate platform as configured. I’d keep it as is and lay some dough in cache slowly but deliberately for another rifle and save the Tikka for your son.

Don't think I could alter that rifle and sleep good after.
Keep it as is, or sell cheap.
Buy a good light .223 for an all around rifle.
I would save the heavy varmit Ruger for long range work and get a more easy carry in a more main stream caliber ,( like the .223).
There are truck loads of used .223s out there for around $300.00, and new for less than $450.00.
And it's an easy to use caliber for kids to learn hunting and shooting. Plus ammo is easy to find on the shelf or to load up yourself cheap.

Be very very careful when she says it's okay to sell or alter the wedding present she gave you. It's a trap!!!!!!!!!

Dan

I think I am just going to leave it in the cabinet for a while and revisit it next Spring/Summer. I may swap out the scope and that may spark something. In the meantime, I think I will start putting some money away for a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in a 243. I really like 243's. I already have a Tikka 243 but have always liked the feel of the Ridgeline. Whichever 243 I like least, I will give to my son when he gets older.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back