Wyoming Unit 120 access?

RidgeRebel

Thinking about burning 7 points on unit 120. I have been in the "no man's land" point area long enough and want to go hunting next year. On paper 120 looks pretty good in terms of success and quality. Has anybody spent time in Unit 120 that could offer advice on elk? Is there decent numbers on the public land or walk in areas?

There is one landowner that takes a trespass fee and that opens a good portion of the area up, plus with the walk-in and public you have plenty to hunt. G&F will give you the name.

What was your goal quality wise for the area?

I would be very happy with any 5 or 6 point bull. I may get bit by the point creep again, but I am hoping with the fee increase I might get lucky. 2 tag were given at 6 points this year, so well see. Thanks for info, I could pay a reasonable trespass. Any idea of how much?

I would be very happy with any 5 or 6 point bull. I may get bit by the point creep again, but I am hoping with the fee increase I might get lucky. 2 tag were given at 6 points this year, so well see. Thanks for info, I could pay a reasonable trespass. Any idea of how much?

Those 2 tags were drawn with 6 PPs in the Special Draw and was a party of two with actually only one tag left if they had not drawn and got an extra tag the way Wyoming does the draw for a party. It took 10 PPs in the Regular Draw for 100% draw and 9 PPs was only 75%. Therefore, I would have a backup plan if you put 120 in a your first choice.

I am planning on the special draw with 7 points. The other options for my point pool don't look good, so I guess if I don't draw I will not be hunting Wyoming next year. I really wish I had stuck with the general draw.

Deer hunted in that unit never saw an elk or any elk sign.Plenty of land to hunt but with 7 pts I'd be waiting.Try for a cow tag before you burn 7 pts there.I stayed at a guy's place that rents cabins in the unit and he was having problems filling his cow tag.I ran into other elk hunters asking me if I saw any elk.Its a unit you will have to cover a lot of ground on to locate them.The guy I stayed with did see some bulls but no cows.The bulls in there are decent,finding them will be difficult without any scouting time.Get there 3-4 days early and I'm sure you'd be ok.Think there's better options though.I agree with points game.After I use mine,general is way to go.Id never catch back up to anything good anyway

Deer hunted in that unit never saw an elk or any elk sign.Plenty of land to hunt but with 7 pts I'd be waiting.Try for a cow tag before you burn 7 pts there.I stayed at a guy's place that rents cabins in the unit and he was having problems filling his cow tag.I ran into other elk hunters asking me if I saw any elk.Its a unit you will have to cover a lot of ground on to locate them.The guy I stayed with did see some bulls but no cows.The bulls in there are decent,finding them will be difficult without any scouting time.Get there 3-4 days early and I'm sure you'd be ok.Think there's better options though.I agree with points game.After I use mine,general is way to go.Id never catch back up to anything good anyway

The elk and the deer aren’t exactly in the same areas in that unit during the season. So I wouldn’t exactly call that a fair assessment of the unit.

Those 2 tags were drawn with 6 PPs in the Special Draw and was a party of two with actually only one tag left if they had not drawn and got an extra tag the way Wyoming does the draw for a party. It took 10 PPs in the Regular Draw for 100% draw and 9 PPs was only 75%. Therefore, I would have a backup plan if you put 120 in a your first choice.

Pretty clear if he talked about people drawing tags with 6pts he was talking about the special. And unfortunately, even with how hard gohunt try’s, there’s no way to predict draw odds for the next year.

If it’s a tag that interests you, go for it.

I wouldn't call this a fair assessment either. The last three hunts I accompanied friends on in 120 in the last ten years all took a day for a 6 pt bull. They all paid the landowner $250 I believe and that is well worth the access you get with it. I asked your expectations because while there is a high bull/cow ratio in 120, bulls over 310 are not common opening day of rifle, although during archery you will see many bulls over that in a week of hunting.

That definitely sounds reasonable to me. Thank you for taking the time to respond fellas. I hope I get lucky in the draw. JM77 thanks for sharing your experience.

Bob

I wouldn't call this a fair assessment either. The last three hunts I accompanied friends on in 120 in the last ten years all took a day for a 6 pt bull. They all paid the landowner $250 I believe and that is well worth the access you get with it. I asked your expectations because while there is a high bull/cow ratio in 120, bulls over 310 are not common opening day of rifle, although during archery you will see many bulls over that in a week of hunting.

It's a bit more than $250 nowadays.

Pretty clear if he talked about people drawing tags with 6pts he was talking about the special. And unfortunately, even with how hard gohunt try’s, there’s no way to predict draw odds for the next year.

If it’s a tag that interests you, go for it.

Don't know how you figure it's pretty clear unless you looked into the draw odds for both draws to see what I mentioned! I never look anywhere other than the F&G site itself since it's free, very easy to read, and has a number of years on it. I do agree that no matter whether you look there or "gohunt" that you still are playing a guessing game unless you go with a unit that took a lot less points the previous year than what you have for the year you apply. Hoping that just a 1 point difference from the previous year in the draw will be all that happens is why I suggested he have a backup plan.

I personally wasn't expecting to see many elk while deer hunting.The family that rents cabins up there and has a restaurant was specifically hunting for cows each day.I had dinner with him each night and when I left he still hadn't filled his tag and he lives in the unit.I also had other hunters stop and ask me if I'd seen any elk as they were having trouble as well.Sounds to me that paying that access fee is the way to go

I have hunted it helping a friend and it reminded me more of a colorado OTC type of unit with the hunter density. I think the difference is there is a better chance of a larger bull than most OTC units. I also think its a better hunt for residents as they can hunt the whole season as the elk or a large percentage of them can leave the unit after the first day.

Thinking about burning 7 points on unit 120. I have been in the "no man's land" point area long enough and want to go hunting next year. On paper 120 looks pretty good in terms of success and quality. Has anybody spent time in Unit 120 that could offer advice on elk? Is there decent numbers on the public land or walk in areas?
Did you end up drawing this tag? We're looking at options for this year and this is on our list. Wondering how it was.

No, the point creep made it impossible to catch this unit. My brother and I ended up splitting out points with some friends and went general.

We did better than I could have hoped. Nothing big, but we filled all of our tags. Here is a link to my write up.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back