Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bergara B14 HMR review/impressions

fishing4sanity

When the Bergara B14 line first came out I handled a couple at a local gun shop and was impressed with the rifles. Since then I've heard good things about their rifles, but I've never owned one - still don't. However, one of the guys that works here on the farm was looking for a rifle and based on what he wants to do and what he had to spend, my sons steered him to the Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. The scope he ordered is still on back-order, but he's been anxious to shoot it, so we took a scope of ours and helped him give it a test run. I got the chance to shoot it several times and was impressed with the comfort of the stock and how adjustable it is. The action cycles very smoothly and the trigger feels great. He bought Hornady 140gr ELD-M ammo, it was shooting right around 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. At the 350 yard plate it printed a .68 MOA 4 shoot group and on the 580 yard coyote a .72 MOA group. He had never shot past 400 yards before and was doing well out to 700 yards. With only 2 rounds of ammo left he wanted to try the 1,000 yard plate and went 2 for 2, he seemed rather happy with his new rifle. I've heard several guys on here mention the Bergara and I was so impressed I thought I'd share my thoughts on the rifle and would recommend anyone looking for a new rifle at least give it a look.
20181215_134314.jpg
20181215_111256.jpg
20181215_123740.jpg
20181215_111051.jpg

I bought one just last weekend. First impression is that the quality is good as far as workmanship and tolerancing. I have not shot many rounds through it yet but have had a number of three shot groups with all shots touching with Hornady Match Grade factory ammunition. I will need to shoot it more and with reloads at greater distances to really understand the guns and my capabilities. But we seem to be off to a good start.

You did an excellent job of setting that loaner optic up. That’s amazing shooting.

They've piqued my interest too. If I was looking for a rifle that didn't have to be light, I'd probably get one (they're all a tad heavy for my tastes...not that this would be a big consideration for a long range rifle).

In my opinion for the money best gun on the market. I bought one 2 years ago and has been my go to rifle since. The Howa sits in the closet.

I am extremely happy with mine in .308. Haven't had a chance to stretch it's legs out past 300 yet, but I may drive up to the 1k range in Las Cruces over the Christmas break.

I handled the Hunter model at Sportsmen's the other day. Does this model have the "two-stage" action, where it partially lifts in one effort but you have to keep going to open the bolt and slide it back? If so, can someone tell me what the purpose is? I was going to throw down but after working that action I'm hesitant.

huronmtns...Your shooting way right, better start over. Just kidding. Yours a 6.5? If so, what you feeding it?

Yes, 6.5.

147 gr ELD M over 41.0 gr RE 16. COL 2.852". Also have repeated groups like the one image I posted with H 4350. But the velocity was about 80 FPS slower.

I just received in some Alpha brass that I am planning on using in volume. This will now drive the load development pretty much back to square one. So far I have been very happy with this gun.

Back