Use grandpa’s old 30-06, or buy something new?

AtenJones

I’m hoping to head out west this Spring for bear, and might do one rifle hunt/year after that. I’ve got my grandfathers Remington 742 in 30-06 that’s in good condition. I’ve also been eyeing a Savage Axis, or Thompson Center Compass - partly because the rebates have made them so affordable. WalMart bear me has an Axis at $140 with scope, after the rebate.

Any thoughts on how much better (if at all) one of the new ones would be compared to the 742? I really like the idea of using a family gun, but I also like the idea of buying new toys - especially when they’re on sale!

Both; Buy yourself a new toy but use your grandpa's '06 for the hunt

Either or.

Keep in mind, your grandkids won’t be nearly as stoked about getting a Savage Axis as you were to get a 742.

But if you’re looking to save some money, they are probably fine.

More value with heirlooms. Something vibes a sense a smile is somewhere beyond... If it can hit the barn from 50 yards, that is... Otherwise that smile is a last chuckle in disguise. :)

You have a good 06, hunt with it. Use the money you don't need to spend on a new gun for other "out west" hunting items....pack, bag, glass, etc....

That Savage without an accutrigger has a beast of a trigger (feels like 17 pounds to release the beast)

Use your grandpa’s rifle... don’t ever buy a axis..savage 110/111/10/11 are great guns.

Use your Grandfather's rifle, nothing wrong with it. If money is burning a hole in your pocket, then buy a good set of binoculars, or good ammunition, and or most important of all, a good quality pair of boots.

I'm not familiar with the 742, but I hunted with my grandpa's 1939 Savage 30'06 and my father's 1975 Ruger for decades. Three years ago I got newer models for my son to use because the triggers on those rifles were very stiff. I liked the triggers so much now I also use them, but if it weren't for the improved trigger I'd prefer to use my historic ones...

I wouldn't replace your grandpa's rifle with a lower end modern model.

My dad, grandpa, and I all shot our first deer with the same 3030 Lever action. Not much can beat that memento/memory. If the gun shootw, use it.

About the only thing good for comparison to the ole 06' and a new 06' is that the new may be lighter in weight.

Me being me, i'd take the ole 06'.

I would definitely put it through it's paces before deciding. Those ole' 06's and whatever caliber semi autos did have inherent problems. Google 'em.
I wanted one really bad in the mid 70's to shoot MN whitetails at 30 yards:rolleyes:, 'cause semi autos were so cool.......
Never got one. Glad. My father in law still had one in the 90's in a .270, an ADL model. Was a real clunker......

My guess is if that 742 is the old semi auto version Remington it will have a very cruddy trigger and may or may not be accurate.

Another to look at are the ruger American and Mossberg patriot synthetic both of which have a bootleg acutrigger and are known to be accurate on a budget. But they are light so a 30-06 might be hard to get practice on due to recoil.

I've heard that sometimes the guns Wal-Mart gets are sort of the bottom of the barrel and not representative of The make model and are basically production seconds. My experience bears this out. I have gotten three killer deals from wally and another big box store that turned out to be less than killer. Two don't extract well and get a lot of fireds stuck in chamber, one 22 and one shotgun. Another was a muzzleloader and 243 barrel combo and both barrels struggled to hold 6 inch groups at 100 yards.

All in all I would actually shoot the existing gun and see if you are happy with it and see what a gunsmith can do with the trigger for 50 dollars. A 300 dollar bolt will probably do a lot better but there are other things to buy I guess.

My dad shot a 742 in 30-06 when I was a kid. He had so many issues with it that he traded it in on a 700 7 mag and never looked back. The 742s were definitely not one of the better automatics. The Browning BAR has always blown it out of the water.

That said, it’s cool that you have you grandpas rifle. Whatever you do hang on to it. I would find something newer and probably more accurate and reliable before coming out west.

Last edited:
Using family heirloom rifles is a good feeling. I've done it. But, if I was heading out West from Ohio to hunt big game, I'd probably have an accurate bolt gun instead of a semi-auto. mtmuley

Make the 742 a Closet Queen and let it grow in investment value. Taking it afield now will only devalue it it because of use. It's kinda cool to hunt with a heritage rifle, but the fact is ....they really weren't that great on the accuracy side. Your's may be, but still while the 742 was in production a 3" group @ 100 yds was a 'Shooter".

A Ruger RA in a 308, or a 7-08, will serve you extremely well and not devalue Grand Pa's legacy......

That Savage without an accutrigger has a beast of a trigger (feels like 17 pounds to release the beast)
My Grandson got an Axis for Christmas several years ago, and he could barely pull the trigger (it DID feel like 17 pounds). I had my local gunsmith rework the trigger, and it is now about 6 pounds, but at least he likes to shoot it.

There's a lot to be said about using a Family Rifle, I filled my NY buck tag with my Grandfathers old Savage 99 and to me, that was more special than some Walmart special El Cheapo. Don't get me wrong, those cheap rifles will shoot lights out nowadays, but the added story and pride behind using granddads rifle will overshadow and old plastic stocked gun

I would take your grandad's gun to the range with a box of modern ammunition and to the gunsmith. If it keeps within 1.5 MOA and is mechanically sound, I would save your money for optics and boots.

Back