Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Help out a first time east coast guy

Pa Bowhunter

Hey everyone
Im a pa guy looking to plan a colorado elk trip in 2020 starting my homework now to try and be as prepared as possible.
The question I have right now (first of many im sure) is camp

I am looking at a base camp deal so I can be as mobile as possible (from way I have researched thus far is my best bet as a first timer)

When picking a location do I have to be in a campground area? Do you just set up camp at a trail head? Can u gind a wide spot on the side of the road and set up shop?

How far from the road or trail should the camp be?

Basixly im loooking for any camp advise and am i on the right track with a base camp or should I be looking a diffeent route?

Thanks for all info in advance

You can camp on the side of most forest service and Blm roads. Do yourself a favor. Find a way to go in 2019. Just get a Colorado or Idaho over the counter tag and go. You have plenty of time to get ready. I did the old “I’ll go in a year or two” and it took four years. Now I won’t miss a year again, Lord willing. Also look at the Randy Newberg OnX scouting series on YouTube.

Last edited:
Hey, we are in the same boat, my buddy and I are coming for the 2019 season to Colorado. de decided to do a Rifle season rather Than a bow season. we figure as long as we see something we can get it. but its exciting to be able to go and enjoy this big Trip. our main Focus to be ready has been training and be fit!! we have a workout plan that has lots of cardio for those hill and long hikes.

In addition to what I just said, I would choose a spot that gives as much flexibility in reaching different areas to hunt as possible. I would not camp right at the trailhead. I wouldn’t want people parking at my camp. Find as level a spot as you can a little way off the road. If you’re too close, all your stuff will get dusted every time someone drives by if it’s dry. I say all this as if I’m an expert but I’m still a greenhorn.

You can camp on the side of most forest service and Blm roads. Do yourself a favor. Find a way to go in 2019. Just get a Colorado or Idaho over the counter tag and go. You have plenty of time to get ready. I did the old “I’ll go in a year or two” and it took four years. Now I won’t miss a year again, Lord willing. Also look at the Randy Newberg OnX scouting series on YouTube.

This^^^^^^

I have checked out the onx series and have 3 pages of note for when i get that phase.
Was planning on an over the counter tag for colorado in Sep to hunt with the bow.
I have seen alot of material on camp to close to roads is a dust factor.
I also have read for a new guy such as myself try to set up a camp with in 30 min or so drive to different trail heads to make mysekf more mobile
Thanks for the tips at this point I am looking for any and all info with just being a east coast white tail hunter
As far the conditioning I have researched a few programs and have buddies that maje a living trainning people so im hoping between them and the internet I can create a good workout plan for the high altitude trip

First thing is learn elk behavior which is far different then the whitetails we hunt.Where do u live in PA??I'm half hour north of Allentown and if your close I can go over maps with you and show u what I've learned over the past 12 years.As far as where to camp.Thats depends on your unit,fitness level,how comfortable you need to be,and where the elk are.If your going to bowhunters don't be in a big hurry to get out there opening day.Plan your hunt for the last week of bow season.The elk will be more vocal and easy to locate.Randy has a good strategy on locating elk in a week.Also, elknuts has good calling apps and a DVD on map reading to locate elk.I use elknuts way of locating elk and have NEVER been disappointed finding them on my hunts.I rarely hunt same unit twice because I enjoy going and seeing all the western states and their people.If your close by,message me and we can get together.Or even hunt sometime out there.But now my boys are old enough to join me so I never really need any partners
Get top of the line clothing and camping gear,don't be cheap.Quality will still retain good resale value if the hunting is not for you.But,after you have a bull screaming at you in kill range,it's a wrap,your hopelessly addicted
Wish you luck

This!

If you can, go in 2019. Experience is by far the best tool. Knowing what the terrain looks like on the ground compared to E-scouting is a huge help.

All of the advice above is good. You need to just go. Grab an OTC archery tag and hit the road. You will be able to find places to camp and hunt right out of camp with a bit of walking. You will know right away if there are elk in the area based on tracks, droppings, trails, wallows, maybe even vocalizations. If you have none of those - MOVE. In CO, if you spend more than a couple days with literally no elk or elk sign, you are off the mark. And don't count OLD sign, it lasts a while. There are tons of elk out there but they do move around in different habitats at different times of the year. Early-mid archery season though, should be somewhat predictable, as long as weather is not some strange extreme. You are looking for summer range, not winter range. There are maps. For your first trip, focus on timbered areas around 10,000 feet, and maybe a bit more or less. Lower brush country is a bit tougher to hone in on a good spot (IMO) at least as a first timer, but it is fun to glass from high points and see elk miles off at sunrise and sunset. On OTC units, don't expect elk hanging out in broad daylight in sight all day. They are up in those dark nasty slopes and benches or down in nasty holes often, but not always very far from the road at all. You will occassionally see a weird elk running across the sage or a powerline for no reason at all so enjoy those too, but you get into some dark greenery and you can stalk game trails if they are damp, and get sometimes within just a few yards before they bust out like a whitetail. Look for animal parts (legs, ears, antler tips, eyes) as in the thick stuff you will not see the whole animal often. If you get into an elk, expect other elk anywhere within 360 degrees around you.... until they smell you or you snap just the wrong twig, then they are gone! It's so much fun, just go.

I am also from NE PA and make and make the annual pilgrimage out west elk hunting since 2010. The hardest thing for me when going to a new unit is trying not to under estimate the distances between potential hunting spots. This is why a centrally located camp is good as well as 1 that can be moved easily. One thing that may be beneficial to you is a summer trip maybe in late July. Frontier air has non stop from Harrisburg to Denver for like $69 1 way on Wednesdays. Southwest also offers reasonable priced non stop to Denver. Rent a small SUV and go check out a unit or 2. Probably can do it for $500 total and may give you a better idea of the vastness and potential camp spots. I wouldn't count it helping a ton as far as scouting but may help.

Also don't forget the altitude even if you are in great shape. A friend from PA went on his 1st elk hunt in CO this past September. Young guy in good physical condition. Drove there and hiked in a few miles with a buddy. Next day forced to hike out with his buddy carrying his pack and spent the next few days in a hospital with fluid on his lungs. Not trying to scare you just saying take it easy for the first few days. Probably more important than a good camping spot.

Hard to beat a centrally located camp, and have 3-4 plans if your first option doesn’t pan out. If you’re not on them, and there’s not fresh sign, try a different spot and don’t get discouraged. I would be careful of going in too deep to any one spot if you’re hunting alone - breaking down and packing out an elk is no small task, and can be tough in early Sept heat.

The advice of trying to go in 2019 is great, it will be worth every penny.

I’m from Pittsburgh, all the commentary about altitude is worth noting. I’ve gone out every year in good shape, running daily, hiking with my pack, etc, and the altitude still kicks my butt the first few days. I’ve found going out at least 2 full days before the season helps you acclimate best. Stay hydrated.

Thanks johns I'm just outside of Pittsburgh bout 35 40 mins it will be me and a buddy goin but I can only imagine the work of getting one out

The altitude it's the one factor im worried about but from what I read if we start slow for a few days we should survive it

Pa Bowhunter, once you have an idea of where you are gonna hunt you will figure out where to camp. Don't overthink things, just go hunt and have fun and keep a positive attitude. Set your expectations on getting opportunities and gaining experience and you will have a good hunt. The more efforts and resolve you put forth should pay some level of dividends. Make sure you are hunting at daylight and at sunset & the same applies on the scouting. Have Fun!

I’m from Ohio and have been hunting Idaho 8 years now, I do the same thing every year, the first day I camp at the truck and cover ground and find the herd. I’ll stay at the truck until I find the herd. Then watch them for a day and find a safe place to camp on the mountain. I’ll say that sometimes I’ve ended up having to camp at the truck for the whole trip just for the fact that I didn’t feel safe staying on the mountain because of how much ground the herd covered every night. I’d rather hike 3 miles every morning than camp on the mountain and end up having the herd find me in the middle of the night. I had that happen one time and will never do it again. I do love packing in and spiking camping but don’t get hung up on the idea, this year I hunted on a separate end of a valley from my buddy so we camped on the road and drove to the draw we wanted to go up each morning. We ended up hunting 4-5 miles away from where we were the day before almost every day this year so camping on the mountain would have bound us up and kept us immobile. Camping at the truck definitely allows more mobility and quick changes in plans. Sometimes you’ll hear them bugle at night and be able to change plans easily because you’re there at the truck. Not to mention truck camping allows for more camp luxury’s like camp chairs and small grills and whatnot. I prefer spike camping just for the fun experience but honestly I end up truck camping most of the time. It all depends on where the elk are. Guys like us who only have 7-14 days a year need to be mobile. I know that was a rambling message but that’s my experience. Good luck and I’d love to share what little information and knowledge I have. Pm me some time.

I definitely agree with the summer trip suggestion, I didn’t know that about the air lines, I’ll definitely check into that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back