Higher end production rifle choices

I would also watch the classifieds at LRH. Some of those guys are continually building rifles and then moving them to build something else. Or wait here till brockel sells his latest build. mtmuley

I'd look hard at Nosler's rifle. Most folks I know who have one, think highly of it.

I own a 270 in Forbes model 24 (the predecessor to the fieldcraft) and a SAKO 85 in a 30-06. The Forbes weighs 6.7 lbs fully loaded and shoot any bullet very well. The SAKO weighs 7.8 lbs and shoot both 165 and 180 grains very well. I can't find fault with either brand of rifles. Both have leupold scopes and lightweight slings. To my mind the SAKO is the finest factory rifle, while the Forbes/Fieldcraft is a semi-custom. Just my thoughts.

A forum member...Van Franke...from 'pronghorn freak'...started building custom rifles after gunsmithing school. Check out Plains Precision rifles

I'd look hard at Nosler's rifle. Most folks I know who have one, think highly of it.

I looked hard at them, they feel nice in the hand but I wasn’t overly impressed with how smooth the action was. I thought for that kinda price point they would of been really smooth, not so much.

Get an 1885 high wall. If Winchester makes them half as well as Browning did, it will be a family heirloom for generations. I have an 06 Browning. Tack shooter, and a beautiful rifle.

I would put another vote in for the Seekins Havak, during their black friday weekend sale they had it down to 1760. That 28 nosler was calling my name but I managed to resist. That is a pretty good deal in my opinion, I have spent more on a semi custom rifle with a blue printed 700 action. I have a model 70 extreme weather and it is a nice rifle. Action is smooth and lightweight. I get some .6" groups at 100 yards with it.

For $2k it would be hard for me to not get something semi-custom. Of course the resale value on a semi-custom isn't always great.

I've always had a soft spot for Sako though as far as production guns. I handled an Xbolt Pro the other day at the store and it was pretty sweet. I imagine the Hells Canyon Speed is similar. I'm just not sure the extra features on the Pro Model justify the $1,700 price tag though.

Get an 1885 high wall. If Winchester makes them half as well as Browning did, it will be a family heirloom for generations. I have an 06 Browning. Tack shooter, and a beautiful rifle.

I love the .270 I picked up this summer (and shot an elk cow with this winter). A standout in a safe full of otherwise pretty standard guns.

Another vote for Bergara. Although, I may have missed exactly what he's going to be doing with it. The B14 HMR would be great for long range shooting and hunting, but I wouldn't want to haul it up mountains or anything. From my research they all drive tacks. Would be a perfect whitetail rifle.

I’d go for the Fieldcraft
This! In the price range posted, I'm not sure I'd get anything but a Fieldcraft in either Creedmoor or 7-08. The special run of Creedmoors (#2 barrel diameter) would be my pick 'twer I spending that kind of money.

I own a 270 in Forbes model 24 (the predecessor to the fieldcraft) and a SAKO 85 in a 30-06. The Forbes weighs 6.7 lbs fully loaded and shoot any bullet very well. The SAKO weighs 7.8 lbs and shoot both 165 and 180 grains very well. I can't find fault with either brand of rifles. Both have leupold scopes and lightweight slings. To my mind the SAKO is the finest factory rifle, while the Forbes/Fieldcraft is a semi-custom. Just my thoughts.

270elk - If you don't mind sharing, what model scope and rings do you have on the SAKO? I've been thinking about that same model in .30-'06, but don't want to run into any of the ejection problems I've read about. Thanks.

I was in the market for a 'one gun to rule them all' big game rifle last year and ultimately settled on the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed. I had pretty much the same requirements and I went out and handled the Sako Finnlight, Sako A7 Roughtech Pro, Nosler M48, Bergara B14, Kimber Hunter and Mountain Ascent, a Christensen Arms Mesa, Fierce Firearms Fury, and a couple others and ultimately found that the bang for buck feature set of the X-Bolt were hard to beat. Here's my thoughts and range reports on mine in 7mm-08 https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?281175-I-m-on-the-highway-to

I am running a VX2 (cds) 3x9 1inch. The rings are SAKO mid-level (I think); I know they are not high level mounts. I have had no ejection problems. It has a 22.4" barrel that is excellent and the action is so smooth. I hunt with 165 grain partitions or Accubonds and target shoot with nosler ballistic tips or Hornady SST's in the summer. Euro optics is having a sale on the SAKO 85 synthetic ( a great buy). Hope this helps.

I was in the market for a 'one gun to rule them all' big game rifle last year and ultimately settled on the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed. I had pretty much the same requirements and I went out and handled the Sako Finnlight, Sako A7 Roughtech Pro, Nosler M48, Bergara B14, Kimber Hunter and Mountain Ascent, a Christensen Arms Mesa, Fierce Firearms Fury, and a couple others and ultimately found that the bang for buck feature set of the X-Bolt were hard to beat. Here's my thoughts and range reports on mine in 7mm-08 https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?281175-I-m-on-the-highway-to

We've been looking at all of the suggestions on line and fully intend to handle them all eventually. I think I'm starting to lean this way as well and take the money saved on the gun purchase and upgrade the glass too.

Back