Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Higher end production rifle choices

VAspeedgoat

So I'm looking at helping my son with his first rifle purchase. He currently shoots a Winchester featherweight and is looking at the Winchester extreme weather. I was curious what other options you guys would throw into that price range and what your rankings would be. I have looked at the Browning hells canyon speed and a Sako finnlight. I guess all manufacturers have something in this range. I would like a composite or carbon fiber stock, stainless or cerakote barrel and action. Other than that I have no requirements. A lighter weight would be nice but not a requirement. Thanks.

My buddy has a Christensen Arms Mesa and it is a pretty nice rifle. Meets all your requirements and is around $1200. Worth checking out...

I bought a Hell's Canyon Speed in 7 RM this fall. I haven't had a ton of time with it yet but its light and shoots wells.

I originally went in to buy the CA Mesa but when I got to Scheels they had just sold their last one in 7 RM. They had the Browning on sale so I took the $300 in savings and bought a MUCH nicer scope then I would have.

I have everything from inexpensive to custom rifles. If I were to buy another rifle now it would be a Browning. My buddy bought a Hells Canyon and its awesome.

Nothing to not like about a Cooper. A 300 Win Mag 52 Excalibur shot right out of the box, even better with a tuned load and Hammer 181.

Nothing to not like about a Cooper. A 300 Win Mag 52 Excalibur shot right out of the box, even better with a tuned load and Hammer 181.

Cooper is what I first thought of when the op mentioned higher end production rifle. I'd like to have one someday. They even chamber the RUM. mtmuley

I just bought a Barrett Fieldcraft yest. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the fit and finish is superb. If you can find one in stock somewhere I'd check them out.

I just bought a Barrett Fieldcraft yest. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the fit and finish is superb. If you can find one in stock somewhere I'd check them out.

Looks like a lot of rifle for the money. Not chambered in any magnums though. Interesting. mtmuley

What is his budget for the rifle and glass? That can help narrow it down. I bought a Legendary Arms Works Professional and a Bergara B14. For the big difference in money I won’t buy another high end, the B14 savings allows me to buy a better optic.

CA mesa hands down love mine. I have the long range 300wm. Tack driver now I want a short action regular mesa prob in 7mm 08. Wish they would produce it in 300wsm.

Last edited:
Look into CZ as well. I’ve always liked Sako.

Nosler should be excellent. It’s supposed to be a CNC copy of a Howa action, a custom barrel, focus on precision. Should be good.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I'd like to keep it under $2000. This is not a hard line though, I just don't want to get into too much more than that or we would be better off with a rebuild in my opinion.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned "Higher end", get a Weatherby Mark V or a Sako 85. They come in lots of flavors. GJ

I've handled the LAW professional and the fieldcraft. Barrett makes top notch stuff. If I was looking for an ultralight rifle, they would get my $$$.

I have a Christenson Arms Mesa in 7RM that I love. I shoot .5 moa with accubond hand loads.That being said I am currently saving for a Browning Hells Cayon LR in 300WM or 28 Nosler, haven't decided yet. I have done a ton of research and the Browning is a lot of rifle for the money.

Look for high end closeout pricing soon....the Cooper from Scheels SLC was a no brainer I couldn't pass up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back