Zinke to Resign

Two thoughts for who may be up to replace:

David Bernhardt who has been identified as temporary until a Secretary is announced.
C.L. "Butch" Otter unless he intends to really retire as Gov - ID in January

Zinke hasn’t been that great. Zinke hasn’t been that bad. I bet we are about to have somebody that really is what the Wilderness Society et al pretend Zinke is.

With all sincerity, care to expound?

1) Generally believe limited government involvement/taxation/spending good for a healthy economy/prosperity.
2) Desire religious freedom for the sake of my family and people of all faiths/worldviews.
3) As a federal employee, my livelihood is at the mercy of politicians, GOP not usually kind to federal employees.
4) I regularly use public lands for recreation. GOP recently not supportive of public lands.

So I'm torn between concerns about a leftist government removing religious protection and harming the economy (among other concerns about free speech, etc.) and a hardline GOP that believes my job shouldn't exist and my public lands should be sold to the rich. I've researched this crap enough to know the threats I mentioned from both sides are equally real.

I didn't think there could be a worse choice then Zinke, but given the track record of the current administration I believe we are about to see just how bad bad can get.

They keep mentioning Dean Heller as a possible replacement. Does anybody know where he stands on public lands?

I'm not a fan of Zinke, and I think he was the best option out of the turd sandwiches this administration was feeding us, but to think that Zinke was a driving influence at DOI outside of the titular figurehead ignores the real person running the ship - Bernhardt.

Zinke was a massive disappointment. He was not a tempering influence. He was a full-throated ambassador for removing protections on public lands while applying conservation-lite principles to other areas in an attempt to greenwash his agencies record.

As someone who has spent the last 2 years trying to work with this administration, I welcome an honest opponent, rather than this green decoy.

Zinke will be a dream compared to this...

"The Washington Post reported Saturday that the White House may also consider Rep. Rob Bishop of Utah, the presumptive ranking member of the House Natural Resources Committee when the new Congress begins in January."

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/who-will-be-the-new-interior-secretary

Why?

We know exactly what to expect from Bishop. We know his game plan. We have a House of Representative to provide a check on him and we have a Senate that is not likely to go along with the privatization schemes. Let's let Trump appoint the worst possible human for the post, and use it to elect better politicians in the 20 cycle and beyond.

Let's get the shooting started. I'm tired of dancing.

When they go low......?????

I can shoot from my high horse.

Seriously though, things won't change until the core constituents feel like their way of life is being threatened. Greenwashing from Zinke dulled the real impacts of the changes Interior made. I'd rather have an enemy that believes in the frontal assault, rather than the skullduggery that he traded in. An honest disagreement on policy isn't going low. It's an honest disagreement.

Not a lot of honesty coming out of SOI the last 21 months.

Why?

We know exactly what to expect from Bishop. We know his game plan. We have a House of Representative to provide a check on him and we have a Senate that is not likely to go along with the privatization schemes. Let's let Trump appoint the worst possible human for the post, and use it to elect better politicians in the 20 cycle and beyond.

Maybe I am dreaming, but I guess I'm one of the few that likes to still see compromise. While Zinke was not 50/50 we didn't see a 100% all out attack on public lands like it seems you would get with Bishop.

Maybe I am dreaming, but I guess I'm one of the few that likes to still see greenwashing. While Zinke was not 50/50 we didn't see a 100% all out attack on public lands like it seems you would get with Bishop.

Fixed it... :)

I can shoot from my high horse.

Seriously though, things won't change until the core constituents feel like their way of life is being threatened. Greenwashing from Zinke dulled the real impacts of the changes Interior made. I'd rather have an enemy that believes in the frontal assault, rather than the skullduggery that he traded in. An honest disagreement on policy isn't going low. It's an honest disagreement.

Not a lot of honesty coming out of SOI the last 21 months.

Maybe there will be another jewel in the rough... or is that diamond?

Maybe I am dreaming, but I guess I'm one of the few that likes to still see compromise. While Zinke was not 50/50 we didn't see a 100% all out attack on public lands like it seems you would get with Bishop.

I'm all about compromise, but that's not really what we got so I'm all for giving America what it voted for. :)

Why?

That's...that's...ok not a bad idea. Bishop would pretty much be exposing himself to all sorts of criticism just to be dumped/disgraced in a year or two by Trump.

At this point does anyone really want these jobs??

Where do you think Zinke got most of his marching orders from? The Ute delegation clearly had a heavy hand in many of the decision made.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back