Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Jan deer hunting - AZ vs NM

Kiwi

I’m looking at hunting the mule deer rut in 2020. Thinking about applying for one of the northern NM (corrected thanks to BOHNTR)units 2a -2c or just going OTC in AZ. The AZ units are hard to draw but are they better? I’m happy to hunt hard and not after a monster buck, numbers are more important than size. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Campbell.

Last edited:
First of all, there is NO January season (archery) for most northern AZ units, including 3A/C (instead of 2A/C???). Are you referring to unit 2A and 2C of Northern NM??? If so, the draw odds are terrible (less than 2%) for that hunt. IMO, many of the OTC desert hunts in January are better than NM hunts as far as quality and rut activity....and I've hunted both states and hunts. I would concentrate on AZ OTC archery tags and units.......Just make sure you read the regulations and know exactly which unit you're hunting to ensure it's open then.

Thanks BOHNTR, I did mean NM. Also good to hear the OTC units are worth hunting. I’m never been to AZ or NM so appreciate the help.

I haven't hunted NM archery in Jan, just rifle in Nov but with NM you are tied down to one unit and weapon choice plus you have to get drawn. With Arizona archery tags are OTC for most units besides most northern units. The regs will list which ones are open in Jan but you can hunt muleys or coues in the rut with an OTC tag. I would go with AZ with the freedom of hunting different units for your hunt.

Thanks .270. Looks like AZ for Jan 2020.

I did mention to the wife i'm thinking of heading over to AZ next week but that didn't go down too well haha.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back