Up Grade My Hunting Clothes ?

1100RemingtonMan

1. Heading to Alaska next on a DIY Caribou hunt what Rain gear do you Recommend that is Quite ?

2. I'm 6'2 and what clothing do you Recommend ? Sika, KUIU, Badlands, Cabela's

3. Maybe I am not carefull but all my hunting pants and jackets seem to get burn holes in them, I never have had high priced clothes but do they burn as easily around campfire ?
I guess I would be pissed it I had a new coat or pants that got burn holes in them.

4. Lost my 30 plus year old Down Vest looking for a replacement Puffy Vest or Coat in Down as I like the light weight in my pack and only put it on when sitting or really really cold out any suggestions ?

My first Alaska hunt was for caribou many years ago. I had the BDU's I was issued in 1989, a couple of cotton chamois shirts, and a "Gortex" type rain coat. Everything worked fine except the rain coat, soaking rain and the quiet breathable raingear of the time just didn't work. On my next trip I picked up a Helley Hanson rain coat and have been using it ever since.

I think many hunters overthink the cloths they use, and it really benefits the manufacturer more than the hunter.

One place not to skimp is boots, if you have to hike on the tundra for very long it will wreck your feet if you don't have good, well broken in boots.

Rei brand has some good priced down stuff. I don't like down because I'm doing trips to Alaska every year where it's wet and if im moving I sweat. They used to have good primaloft jackets and i have two of them but they are discontinued and probably close to sell out. A cheaper but heavier option is military surplus polartec 100 amd 300 fleeces. Very warm and insulates when wet. Helly Hansen rain wear is pretty standard in ak but not the only option.

I would reconsider why you need camo hunting specific clothing for double the cost. Are you bow hunting? Even so, couldn't you just use camouflaged outerwear.

I'll add a huge second for synthetic puffys. I've had a few different ones over the last couple of decades and they are by far the most versatile and used jacket I have. A hard shell and a synthetic puffy covers just about any weather condition.

1. Heading to Alaska next on a DIY Caribou hunt what Rain gear do you Recommend that is Quite ?

2. I'm 6'2 and what clothing do you Recommend ? Sika, KUIU, Badlands, Cabela's

3. Maybe I am not carefull but all my hunting pants and jackets seem to get burn holes in them, I never have had high priced clothes but do they burn as easily around campfire ?
I guess I would be pissed it I had a new coat or pants that got burn holes in them.

4. Lost my 30 plus year old Down Vest looking for a replacement Puffy Vest or Coat in Down as I like the light weight in my pack and only put it on when sitting or really really cold out any suggestions ?

1. I would look at arc'teryx if you have the money and are hiking a ton, if you don't want to spend the coin grundens or Helly Hansen

2. Sitka

3. Any synthetic fabric will burn if you stand too close to a fire

4. RAB, Outdoor research, Marmont, or Patagonia

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back