2019 Archery Elk Hunt

Brady1

Hey guys i'm new the forum and elk hunting! Next year I am planning a archery elk hunt in Idaho and don't really know where to start as to picking a unit to hunt! As a beginner i'm not real thrilled of the idea of hunting in grizzly country and from what I've researched so far that means that basically the north and the east side of the state is out of the question. I have also heard that basically anywhere you go on public lands your going to run into other hunters. So with that being said i want to pick a unit where if we get bumped out of one spot by other hunters then i have plenty of other options to go that aren't to far away. Don't know if we are going to set up a base camp to come back to or hunt with camp on our backs. Kind of thought that would be a decision to make depending on the water sources in the area. I'm not looking for anybody's honey holes or anything like that but just some advice to get me in the right direction. Also we aren't picky as to what size of bull but would just like to get into some bugling action and have some fun chasing some elk! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome, take time to watch a lot of YouTube on how to care for a elk once it hits the ground. Planning a great hunt 10 miles in isn’t any good if you can’t get it out and you have a spoiled elk.

Not sure where you live but if not from the mountains Idaho will seriously kick your behind. If you have never elk hunted before you do not realize how much work (fun) it can be. I would suggest for you first time out find a spot to camp and hunt from right close by. Learn from this trip what you are and are NOT capable of. If you go in and set up a camp 10 miles deep you could end up shooting an elk another 6 miles in, and Idaho in most places is some steep stuff. Don't bite off more than you can chew

You should find plenty of elk to hunt within 3 miles,usually much less.Go when the rut really kicks in so they are easy to locate;Sept 15 and on.To lose people,take trail in a ways then get a mile off that.Most hunters are close to trails.I rarely see other hunters in the woods by doing this.Getting your meat out solo in archery weather is no joke.Ten miles in and unless you can carry 150lbs for 2 trips on your back you'll have problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back