Moose Hunting With Dogs in Norway

Hunteverything

Enclose a video from a recent Moose hunt with my dogs in Norway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGqGvu4uTBc&t=5s

I have hunted without dogs, and that`s cool. But after doing the same thing with dog(s), it place me in a new dimension. Listening to a barking dog while sneaking upon the animal, it gives me the very last bit of satisfaction.

And now a question: I can`t find much on Moose hunting with dogs in USA or Canada? Is it legal in your country?

Very little for hunting ungulates in the US with dogs. Some areas of the Southeast part of the country allows it for whitetail deer, but other that that it's bears, mountain lions, and pigs.

Thanks for sharing the video!! I'm very interested in seeing how hunting is done in Europe. I think I'd rather hunt there than Africa at this time.

Thanks.
And I learned a new word: ungulates(had to look it up:hump:).
So it`s a law in many states? No dogs "on the loose" on moose, elk, etc.
What about a dog in a leash?
In north europe/russia they breed them specific for tracking moose and other species. A split in the breed was done.
1. Track animals by themself, stop and hold them, while barking.
2. Track while in a leash, then they are silent. You may stop and leave(not tied down) the dog. Sneak upon the prey, and do your thing.

Hunting in Europe, that is not a bad idea. And especially scandinavia(Norway, Sweden and Finland). And of course in the "old" eastern europe.
What species do you like to hunt the most? Flying, four-legged, two-legged etc. If you are not faith at heart:) Seals. Thats cool and legal in Norway.
If so, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhMBq2dGA-w
And that my friend, may happen, if you so wish...

Last edited:
On a leash is allowed in many states for trailing wounded game, but not for the actual hunting. Most common uses of hunting dogs here is upland birds, waterfowl, and small game. I think hunting big game with a well trained dog would be quite the experience!

Not much I wouldn't try hunting at least once, even seals! Big game is my favorite followed by upland birds behind a dog.

I own a English Setter, and do a lot of upland hunting. That is fun. Iìi se your nickname is Pointer. So I guess you hunt with a pointer. Strong and efficient dogs, often used in my country. It`s not a problem to go hunting with me(for free). We have done our 4 moose for the year. Grouse, goose is done too. Seal come up the first four months(& 8/9`th) of the year. Watch up, it`s north of the arctic circle...

The 1_pointer moniker came long before I ever hunted birds behind a dog, but I do now have a pointing breed; pudelpointer. He's my first bird dog and any failings he has are due to my inadequacies as a trainer. That said, we have fun!
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

A hunt north of the arctic circle would be a blast! Not possible for the coming year, but I'll keep that in mind. I've only been to Europe once and that was a 12 tour of Italy with my wife.

Nice dog & hunt.
Failings. Dog and human. We have. And we have to live with it. Good and bad. And that is a good thing. Nothing is perfect. EXCEPT when we speak about our dog, and "myself". And that, that is far from the truth, many a time. The ultimate test... You seems to be a honest man.

I know, a trip halfway around the earth, can`t be drawn like a bunny out of a hat.
I plan to get old, and die in my house, so there is plenty of time.
Think about this! Why tell a completely stranger, to come visit?
You may think: Yeah, another bullshitter. Lets play...
And i know most of the time, people say one thing, and when it`s time. Nothing happened. Probably popular at the internet and the society in general.
May be me?
From another point of view. I have 5 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, and a wife. One more person, I can't care less:).
In the fall, there drop a couple bypassers down at my doorstep every year. It`s ok.
If you want, drop me a PM, I`ll send some contact info.
Look up Andøya(translated to english,ironically it turns out to be: Duck Island!). some of the few places on earth you are guaranteed to watch big whales, half an hour ashore.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/8...86a9cade78a1283!8m2!3d69.1092129!4d15.9632527

I am the full expression of that first part of your last post! Hank and I aren't the best pair when it comes to bringing birds to hand, but we have fun and he's a part of the family...

Hunteverything. Where do you live in Norway? My relatives are near Roros. I've fished there but never have hunted. My relatives hunt moose and roe deer and wolverine there. I would very much like to arrange a hunt in Norway before I get too old. Skol.

[URL="https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=56882&d=1441752382

THe photo feature on this website is over my head...

For 1_pointer
We love, what we have at hand.
My English Setter find grouse like a king. I'll hopefully shoot the bird dead, BUT NOT every time he want to bring dead birds to me.
My oldest Moose dog is excellent. Finds moose and holds it, work together with me like no other. BUT if I let him out of the house with no leash, he is long gone, hunting Moose etc(I live with them).
The youngest Moose dog, I can let out the door, whistle, and he will be back.
My cat, she`s on her own, no worry.
My children, what to say, they became like their father, nothing to speak abouth.
My wife, she needs a leash....
And me? Probably shouldn't been born...
BUT we have fun, I`ll love them, and don`t want to exchange none of them. So life is good(if we want to).

Last edited:
Ben Long
Nice dog, your cousin`s Norwegian elk hound(I say Moose dog, and that`s not correct), even if it`s bred in Sweden(matter of fact, they breed very good dogs, including the Jamthund aka swedish moose/elk hound).
You say: My relatives hunt moose and roe deer and wolverine there.
Røros is a good place for hunting, but the wolves invades Norway from Sweden(russia). Eat some hunting dogs(and alot of livestock) a year, easy prey, the dogs. The hunters and farmers don`t like that.
So the government issue some tags for wolf each year(Unfortunately not where I live. No wolves here).
I live north of the arctic circle. "Town": Dverberg, on an island named Andøya.
Look at attached link: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dve...72ef174e7159afe!2m2!1d11.3841068!2d62.5748112
Røros is in the "southern" part of Norway(I lived 17 years of my live down south, in the capital OSLO, so I am familiar with the area), and pass there every year, driving to my two brothers, living in Oslo.
I bet you can arrange a hunt with them, if not go north of the arctic circle to hunt with somone I know:hump:, then send them a picture(it`s like piss them up the leg;):eek:)

I have been to the Lofoton Islands very briefly, as well as Tromso and Bodo. Beautiful country. It is like you took America's Glacier National Park and plopped it in the ocean. We have many wolves here in Montana and many hunters here dislike them as much as my Norwegian cousins dislike the "Swedish" and "Russian" wolves at Femund. I don't mind the wolves so much and there is plenty game to go around here.

Okay, so you are a traveler(Maybe work related, like the military. Or just pleasure. No matter what). Cool. You passed my doorstep.
Yes, it`s beautiful up north. If you by any chance pass again, stop by. No need for a gun, hotel, food, or money. If no hunting season, take the boat, go 10min out. Drop the hook, and drag up some fish.
Or if wintertime, lay on your back in the snow, and watch the northen light(aurora).
I have been in the states many a time. In mostly every corner. Diverse landscape. Love it.

Here they make for bearable camp life, and lighter pack loads, but are not allowed to assist with the hunt. In some states the culture of running game with dogs is stronger than the laws against same so it continues in certain groups. In a very few areas it is still legal

.IMG_1074.jpg

DSC04846 - Copy.jpg

Notice which end mine always approach from, not real brave.

IMG_3936.jpg

DSC04830.jpg

I hunt ducks with 2 labs.

If it was legal, I would not use them on moose as they could be snacks for wolves or bears where I hunt in Alaska.

Also with only 50+ inch bulls legal, they likely would harass cows, calfs, sub-legal bulls and thus be counterproductive.

Hunting in a wetland complex, I prefer to call a bull up onto dry land before shooting...

Back