Yeti GOBOX Collection

2019-2020 elk

Elmacho

So, here we are again... almost draw time!

Since I am holding 12 points now, I am considering units 16 and 45. Should I be considering others? (Looking to have a GOOD shot at breaking 320)
I want to hunt archery during the rut!, maybe have a chance to come back with a rifle if needed.......

I need some help narrowing it down, pros and cons, so that I can scout this coming summer/fall and make a decision! I have heard 16 has property issues, but how bad is it, REALLY?

Thanks and Happy Holidays to All

I take it you are talking about wyoming?

45 is a type 9 or type 1 which means you cant do both. I would go towards 16.

16 does have property issues the Q creek owns most of what is not public. you can still find great elk on public.

16-2 is your best bet for a giant. Watch Randy's latest video of the WY elk hunt with his son. With that tag you can archery hunt the rut and come back with a rifle in the late season if unsuccessful in September.

Yes, looking at wyo. Thanks for the updates, can I delete this now, so as to keep my chances of drawing reasonable?

16-2 is your best bet for a giant. Watch Randy's latest video of the WY elk hunt with his son. With that tag you can archery hunt the rut and come back with a rifle in the late season if unsuccessful in September.

Serving up softballs

There are bulls like that in almost every general unit in Wyoming. There are also elk like that in 1,2,7,11,19,22,23,24,30,31,32,35,38,39,40,41,45,49,51,53,54,55,56,58,59,61,62,63,64,78,84,91,93,95,100,108,111,114,117,118,120,122,124.

Fact is most units you can bow hunt and then come back and rifle hunt....

Fact is that 4x more "Giant Bulls" come from Park County and the NW corner than any other part of the state, its just math....

Fact is you'll see 10 times more elk in 16 on private land that's off limits than on public.... Yes you could kill a great elk, you could also eat your tag. You could also write Stan Kroenke a check and kill an elk bigger than Matthew's, maybe smaller...

Funny that everyone chases the "unit", hoping to draw instead of drawing a tag, putting some effort in and killing a good animal. Randy has done well drawing less than desirable units throughout the west and harvesting some great animals. Why? Because he puts in the time researching, scouting, honing his craft, instead of chasing the "unit". That's what his show is about...Throw Buzz's first hand knowledge of that area on top of that it probably looks like a dream unit. Fact is 97% of people will hunt the same unit and not kill a bull like Matthew's. Good unit? Sure... but so are many of the rest...

Last edited:
Thanks Sneakum,

Appreciate the insight, but maybe ease-up on the energy drinks.....Just because I have points stacked doesn't mean I am chasing a units for some mythical dream hunt.....
Been raising a family 1000 miles away, therefore points build up....Just doesn't make sense to go blow the whole wad on a 2-4 point unit when there may be a better opportunity this one time.

Thank you all who have contributed to my research before I continue scouting this year, and maybe next, to narrow down my two or three choices to one. I have spent a ton of time learning wyoming the last 5 years, its God's country for sure...

Specifics are more helpful than the generic answers that really don’t help anybody.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back