Caribou Gear

Travel Rifle/Ammo Availability

WalkingBird

Hey Guys,
I know there is an immense amount of knowledge in this forum, with a lot of users traveling for their hunts. For those that travel out of state to hunt, have you ever had an issue with finding ammo for your rifle while on an adventure? I keep hearing folks discuss getting popular calibers such as the .30-06 with the mindset of having ammo available no matter where you are, vs something still commonly used, yet ammo can be "difficult" to find like the 7mm-08.

So my question is, has anyone been in a situation where they needed to purchase/procure ammunition far from home? and is this mindset valid for the traveling hunter?

I'm mostly thinking about North American trips, but I'd be interested in how those that hunt in Africa or Eurasia think about this

Have never had to source ammo once I got to my destination; either flying or driving. Only thing I've had to source was blackpowder substitute as you can't fly with it.

I think it's kind of an insurance thing and considering the similarity in cartridge performance, probably not a bad practice. That said, it won't keep me from using what I like.

Have never had to source ammo once I got to my destination; either flying or driving. Only thing I've had to source was blackpowder substitute as you can't fly with it.

I think it's kind of an insurance thing and considering the similarity in cartridge performance, probably not a bad practice. That said, it won't keep me from using what I like.

Yea, That's what I was wondering about, if it's just a mental thing to take the edge off any anxiety about forgetting stuff for a trip, or if there was a genuine need. Now, I've never flown with a firearm before, but I think you can keep the ammo in the case with your firearm correct?

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot as lack of ammo for my 7mm-08 is going to be my excuse to get a new rifle, but after thinking about it, it doesn't make "as much" sense as it does on the surface (unless you genuinely forget to pack it, which in all honesty, would be a very "me" thing to do)

Yea, That's what I was wondering about, if it's just a mental thing to take the edge off any anxiety about forgetting stuff for a trip, or if there was a genuine need. Now, I've never flown with a firearm before, but I think you can keep the ammo in the case with your firearm correct?

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot as lack of ammo for my 7mm-08 is going to be my excuse to get a new rifle, but after thinking about it, it doesn't make "as much" sense as it does on the surface (unless you genuinely forget to pack it, which in all honesty, would be a very "me" thing to do)

Ammo is supposed to be in separate checked bag. But I would shoot what you like and not worry about local ammo. Lot’s of good reasons to buy another gun, but I wouldn’t do it just for this concern.

Ammo is supposed to be in separate checked bag. But I would shoot what you like and not worry about local ammo. Lot’s of good reasons to buy another gun, but I wouldn’t do it just for this concern.

Ammo can be in the same bag as your firearms it just needs to be in an approved container, I just use the original manufacturer box. If you fly with a similar setup you probably won't lose your ammo... but you could, I guess, run out.

riflecase.jpg

Yea, it's weird though. I just got on the TSA webpage to look it up, the ammo can go into checked baggage, but "small arms ammunition, not exceeding .75 caliber" can also fly in the same case as the firearm. I think I heard once, maybe on the HT podcast, that it seems to be up to the local TSA to determine where it goes. Like you could fly from Sky Harbor and they'd want it in the gun case, but flying home from lets say Anchorage, they want it in checked baggage

Yea, it's weird though. I just got on the TSA webpage to look it up, the ammo can go into checked baggage, but "small arms ammunition, not exceeding .75 caliber" can also fly in the same case as the firearm. I think I heard once, maybe on the HT podcast, that it seems to be up to the local TSA to determine where it goes. Like you could fly from Sky Harbor and they'd want it in the gun case, but flying home from lets say Anchorage, they want it in checked baggage

The opposite I think would be true, you might be able to fly with it in your bag going one way but they want it to be in the case the other. I think in the case is always preferred.

This doesnt make any sense lol different rules but it does not surprise me one bit.. the only time I fly with ammo they wanted it in the gun case

I don't think it's that big of a deal. As others have said, if they lose your rifle case, you're shit out of luck any way. My only concern would be if I forgot to pack the ammo, but that's why I make a list of essentials and check it multiple times before traveling.

Where I live in Ca. I have a difficult time finding what I want to shoot in 7 mag and my 7-08. I have never had a problem finding what I want in Nevada or Idaho. I used to stock up on ammo in Idaho because Ca. didn't have it. Not sure where you would be going but if it is a popular hunting area then ammo in the common calibers should be available.

I travel with my ammo with my rifle. Not had any issues so far with that. I handload but I also know what a certain factory load will do, just in case.

Years ago in Idaho, I ran out of 6mm Rem ammo. We were shooting a LOT of varmints on that ranch! :) A quick trip to town remedied that problem.

Fast forward 30+ years, and I drove up to Alaska, from Washington state for a hunt. Along the way I stopped in several towns in Canada and checked what rifle ammo was available. I found 308 Win, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were widely available. Other cartridges weren't as easy to find. As I got farther north in BC, and the Yukon, the 375 H&H started to show up regularly as well.

In Alaska? Holy Cow! ANYTHING is available. Especially if it seems like it might be a good cartridge for big bears.

I had a 30-06, and was not surprised to find boxes of ammo available pretty much anywhere in BC or Yukon, and certainly not a problem in Alaska.

Guy

Ammo can be in the same bag as your firearms it just needs to be in an approved container, I just use the original manufacturer box. If you fly with a similar setup you probably won't lose your ammo... but you could, I guess, run out.

View attachment 91635

That's how it was last time I flew. I bought a 40 round box of factory 22/250 ammo just for the box to put my hand loads in. Heck,on the return trip they weren't even going to look in the case. I made sure they did.

In Alaska? Holy Cow! ANYTHING is available.

This is a fair point, I shoot a .264 win mag and haven’t had much trouble finding factory loads in random rural areas in Ak, MT, WY, or CO but good luck finding anything at cabelas or basspro.

I've hunted in Texas, Montana, and Wyoming. I can tell you that 30-06, .270, .308, and .243 ammo is sold in every store in every part of those states.

Growing up in Cisco, TX I bought most of my ammo at Ted's and Rex's General Store. I'm not even kidding.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back