If you could start over hunting out west with what you know now what would you do?

robloft

If you were to start over hunting with the knowledge you have now what would you do differently? Where would you work on building points on a budget? What states would you hunt while building points in others? What do you wish you had known on your first few hunts? How have you gone through the process of finding good people to hunt with? I went on my first hunt to Montana this fall and it was definitely a learning experience. I saw a lot of elk but they were all on private. I'm trying to come up with a plan to hunt elk and either deer or antelope every year and hopefully find some one to hunt with. I'd like to be able to hunt in new places every few years so I'm trying to come up with a system of building points and applying somewhere new every few years. Thanks in advance.

Start building points when I was 30, not 50. Being behind the points curve is a bummer. But still lots of chances to hunt does.

We have now (belated) decided to build points for elk and pronghorn in CO, WY, and MT and to try and make does, second choice draws, leftover draws and OTC our focus for the first 5 or 6 years to let the points build a little. But no time machine to get our points in the teens where we would like them.

I would have sold a gun or two to be able to purchase the points that year in Colorado when I didn't have the money and then they took the 5 I already had from me. (I got caught up in that short stint of apply every other year or loose your points nonsense...) At the time I did not have a credit card to front the money for me.

I would not have wasted my time hunting the overcrowded OTC units.

I would have hunted a unit that took a couple-3 points to draw every three or 4 years.

I have fixed most of these issues at this point in my life though.

1. I would have started buying Wyoming points in Year 1. I didn't even know what a preference point was at that time in my life.

2. I would have leaned a little farther to the left to avoid the twig before releasing my arrow at what was the biggest bull I'll ever see in my life in 2014 while hunting New Mexico.

I would start going out sooner instead of waiting till I was 30.
I would go after antelope or mule deer for the first couple trips to build confidence and figure out what gear I needed.
I would definitely start buying points for Elk, deer and pronghorn in AZ, CO, WY and MT.

+1 with VikingsGuy. I would have started point building back when I was in my early 20s instead of getting stuck in a rut and hunting bear in Canada every year for so many years.

I think I'd just move out there. Get a Walmart greeter job and quit from September to January every year.

The first company I worked with out of college wanted to send me to a job in Boise, Idaho. I was single, had zero debt since I had a full ride scholarship for my degree, and 22 YO. I turned down the offer to stay local and work on projects I had started around here. I can't say that I regret it, considering I met my wife shortly after and wouldn't trade anything of my life with her, but I just wonder how it would have turned out if I'd accepted. I think I would have stayed if I'd took the opportunity and would have saw that country back then.

This is a great post for newbies like me. I wish everyone didn't have to learn the hard way, but know that you are helping to shape the next generation of passionate outdoorsman!

Apply everywhere for everything as soon as you possibly can. Having a stack of points sure beats not having any.

Practice with your rifle and be confident in it, and be in good shape to take advantage when you do draw one of those good tags.

Am I the only one who is just starting out and is purposefully not playing the points game? Maybe it's cause I live in Co and have ample tags available here. But I'm on a zero points or burn a point every other year in Co. And as soon as I find a place I can draw in Wyoming I go get that tag. Only building elk points cause I'm not interested in paying for the tag yet. Building some points in Montana, but also just cause I don't have the time to hunt there yet. It just seems there is still so much available to draw and kill without just waiting for your points to accumulate.

Though I may regret never getting the shot at a prime unit someday. Maybe I will just sit on wyo elk points, but is it even worth it with the creep?

I'm only building big three points in Co. As that's the only way to hunt them. Ever.

I dunno.

Last edited:
Not living in AZ for the minimum to be a resident. Then taking the AZ hunter's safety class. I think you then get something like 2 extra points on any tag you apply for. Once done with that, live in WY.

First, l am not the sharpest guy around, but I started buying points at a fairly young age for every species in most every western state, realizing I wouldn't be able to afford to go on these hunts for many years. Look at it as a long-term investment, but the key now is to also invest wisely. I did the same for my wife and kids. The payoff is there, as we have had great hunts and will have MANY more for MANY years to come. Sometimes it was tight buying points and applying, but I worked harder or took on side jobs when necessary to pay for what I loved to do.

Second, research and dig more than other people are willing to do. There are so many good to great OTC hunts and hunts that take only one or two preference points in almost every western state. Most hunters would never have the time to enjoy them all. Trust me they are there, my family and a few close friends hunt them regularly! It is crazy what opportunity is available if you look hard enough. No hunter should EVER complain about a lack of quality hunting opportunities on public land in the western states in my opinion!

Third, I wish I had saved even earlier than I did to buy top end optics and learn how to REALLY use them. A complete game changer.

Fourth, stay in reasonably good shape and keep weight off your entire life, not just a month or two before the hunt. Hunting will be more enjoyable and successful.

Finally, learn to trust a GPS, get comfortable walking out and coming back in the dark, and carry what you need to survive overnight if something does happen.

This is exactly what I would tell myself 30 years ago. Take it for what it's worth and good luck!

Last edited:
Not to get caught up on points while chasing trophy units you might get to hunt every decade or so and go have fun hunting the same areas every year.

I dumped all my Wyoming points about 5 years ago and have never regretted it. Easier to just move where you want to hunt if you are really that passionate about hunting.

Spend money on optics but don't go overboard on all the overpriced crap manufacturers want to sell hunters these days. Some of my best hunts have been in Wranglers that were $20 when new.

As mentioned get comfortable walking in the dark and using your GPS. Most guys are headed for the truck before the sun disappears.

Back