Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

UT State Trust Lands selling 28,000 acres of prime hunting land

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Not that this surprises anyone who follows the Utah State Land Board Auctions, but it serves as a helpful reminder of why the UT delegation is so adamant about gaining ownership of Federal lands. This is the biggest state land sale I've seen in a while. Chaffetz, Lee, Hatch, Bishop, et al better get with the program and get the UT State Land Board some more land from the Feds; Utah is going to be out inventory of prime hunting land at the rate and size of these sales.

From a UT State Land Board FB page post before they closed down their FB page..... "We only sell the worthless lands that nobody wants."

This premier mountain property in northeastern Utah has great recreation opportunities and supports abundant wildlife, timber, and domestic livestock grazing resources. It is located adjacent to US Forest Service property, a Utah Wildlife Management Area, and private ranch properties managed as cooperative wildlife management hunting units.

Better get your funds lined up; Letters of interest are due December 31, 2018.

https://trustlands.utah.gov/land_auctions/tabby-mountain-c-26819/

UT sales.jpg

Don't worry Fin, everyone best friend in the Utah legislature Ken Ivory(ALC Lobbyist) got his pet project approved. The State is going to hire a firm to digitally map and tally the exact numbers of acres the "feds own" in Utah. That way we can send the feds a bill because they "aren't paying their fair share" to Utah education system via PILT. Us conspiracy theorists have some crazy idea its just the way the ALC gets its mapping done free, and will be the catalyst for the lawsuit Gov Herbert is itching to file for transfer(Utah has a slush fund and lawyers on retainer currently). After all, "its for the children".

Well at least we now know that worthless is < or = to $41,000,000.

Wonder how many CWMU tags I could get with this ranch?

"We only sell the worthless lands that nobody wants."

Minimum Bid: minimum acceptable price is 41,000,000

I have a hard time reconciling this. Clearly someone is not telling the truth.

What is really disappointing is that despite obvious examples such as this illustrating the intentions of these land grabbers we still have large contingent of hunters who can't see past a letter in the front of a name.

Looks like a perfect property for the Wilkes Brothers. Right in their price range and would hopefully entice
them to sell more of their land here in Idaho.

Last edited:
Looks like a perfect property for the Koch Brothers. Right in their price range and would hopefully entice
them to sell more of their land here in Idaho.
Or: Looks like a perfect property for the Wilkes brothers. Right in their price range and would hopefully entice
them to sell more of their land here in Montana.

Or: Looks like a perfect property for the Wilkes brothers. Right in their price range and would hopefully entice
them to sell more of their land here in Montana.
All the Wilkes land in Montana is for sale already. All the big dollar land owners are aware another real estate crash is coming and are trying to liquidate now. No one with 41 million to spend on land will use it to buy this Utah property. Won't happen.

Maybe a group of conservation buyers should pool their money, wait for the crash to hit, and throw a bone to the Wilkes to buy them out of their bad investment?

All the Wilkes land in Montana is for sale already. All the big dollar land owners are aware another real estate crash is coming and are trying to liquidate now. No one with 41 million to spend on land will use it to buy this Utah property. Won't happen.

I wouldn't overlook the largest landowner in Utah as the most likely potential buyer. I would say they are the most likely buyer.

I agree with you Randy about the biggest landowner in Utah possibly purchasing this.

Having spent most of the last decade in the falls working security on the biggest privately owned ranch in the state of Utah I have to say that they are good stewards of the land.

Not having had access to hunt said ranch I have been guarding, I agree it will be a huge bummer to lose this public chunk to private ownership, but I believe they could turn it into a stellar CWMU, and that the surrounding areas will benefit from their management practices.

Just ask anyone who hunts the boundaries of DLL whether it is better than the general unit even a mile away.

Hopefully the dwr is able to acquire this land. It borders their current tabby mtn wma. I do not know the figures but a supplement to their budget for this purchase was included in the governors budget.
Also I heard that an individual is now a larger landowner than the lds church. Perhaps that does not include the in town churchs/temples etc but he is saying he owns more rangeland than the church.
I think this would be a great opportunity for both utah residents and non-residents to contact representatives about approving the dwr getting additional funds to purchase it.

SFW should really step up to the plate on this one. With what they are making off of the hunt expo they should be able to foot the bill. :rolleyes:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back