Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

UT State Trust Lands selling 28,000 acres of prime hunting land

Browning, Black Ovis, Camo fire, Kings Camo, Christensen Arms, Barnes, Hoyt, Easton. Those are some of those Utah companies your proposing to punish?

I have no problem with boycotting the $fw expo, they are supporters of the powers in Utah gov pushing transfer.

I deliberately did not name potential sponsors of this website, out of respect for Big Fin. Not proposing, I have been doing it for 3 years. Yes to those you named and many others. Remember, this is not just about UT selling off what little is left of its state land. UT actively undermines federal law protecting federal lands, yours and mine, in their "kingdom." As w any boycott, telling companies and legislators why you shun them is part of the intervention.

Elk duds. The minute the OR bailed they lost any sway they had. Same is true for other groups who talk a lot. If your not here as a group or company, you're just some outsider. In the vaccum a group like $fw steps in. I lobbied BHA, even lobbied Fin, there is a dairy queen right on Bishops exit. Like it or not, $fw, or the church gets what they want because they are here, they are loud, they support their candidates in Primaries. To be fair I come from a wool growing family, have cattlemen friends. Their frustrations with BLM are real. But you don't sell the team, you replace the coach. We as sportsmen should support the BLM office being in the west. That takes away the them vs us that the green decoy crowd makes hay with. For the record bishop is my congressman, as is evident by the stack of letters I get back from him, he cares little about me as well

Questioin slightly off topic but I am wondering in this case if this land currently huntable/accessible or is it like the school trust lands in Nebraska that you cannot hunt without permission from the rancher who leases it?

Yes the land is huntable currently.
As to people saying DLL is a good steward of the land I think the people that have hunted the areas around DLL would beg to differ.
DLL runs thousands of sheep and purposely runs them on leases around the DLL property they run sheep to keep the other animals on the ranch from venturing off the ranch. Their theory is if the grass isn’t greener in the other side they will stay in the ranch. And it does work very well. DLL has been caught in the pat pushing animals into the ranch and they have now adopted this as the way to just keep them there.
Another view is in Utah the church cannot do any wrong. The are always givin the benifit of the doubt and getting them in any trouble is almost impossible. If you want to see this just go hike the perimeter of DLL and see it for yourself.

What’s amazing is that dispite examples like this that there are still detractors in our ranks that say this isn’t going to happen or that this isn’t an issue. For example James Willems the president of the Pope and Young club.

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=480905&messages=161&forum=36

“Pay attention and I'll say it one last time. OUR PUBLIC LANDS WILL NOT BE TRANSFERRED TO THE STATES OR THE PRIVATE SECTOR. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. I'm not going to waste my time saying it again. I will admit that there are minor instances where land is traded that benefits both the private sector and our wildlife overall. Some of those transfers are not in our best interests and some are extremely beneficial. That is different.”

Yes the land is huntable currently.
As to people saying DLL is a good steward of the land I think the people that have hunted the areas around DLL would beg to differ.
DLL runs thousands of sheep and purposely runs them on leases around the DLL property they run sheep to keep the other animals on the ranch from venturing off the ranch. Their theory is if the grass isn’t greener in the other side they will stay in the ranch. And it does work very well. DLL has been caught in the pat pushing animals into the ranch and they have now adopted this as the way to just keep them there.
Another view is in Utah the church cannot do any wrong. The are always givin the benifit of the doubt and getting them in any trouble is almost impossible. If you want to see this just go hike the perimeter of DLL and see it for yourself.
You forgot about the black helicoptors... :rolleyes:

In the past, DLL has leased out grazing to sheep on their property (they didn't have any) to move the elk off of meadows and riparian areas that were being over grazed by elk...

I just got an email from UT DWR who stated they were informed of this thread and the recent discussion on our podcast. He stated UT DWR is trying to acquire this piece from the Utah State Land Board. I am not sure if they will be able to match the other bids that might be there, or if their bid will be the only bid.

Regarding CWMU's in Utah see http://www.cwmuutahwildlife.org/what.htm

I love the comment about the black helicopters and DLL...classic. I have heard those old wives tales for years. The funny thing about these allegations is that they are usually by the same people that are year after year caught infringing on the private land, usually during the elk hunts. I have seen it happen countless times. Don't get me wrong, I have and continue to hunt several border areas on public land, if only due to the high concentration of game that are in the process of migrating to the sanctuary of a ranch that has been maintained as great habitat, and has minimal hunting pressure. Public land is public land, and I will hunt it even if it means I am not invited back to work security:rolleyes:... but that is another story.

DLL does graze sheep on the ranch but does so on a rotation based on biologist recommendations. A lot of times it is for noxious weed removal and hardly ever in the same spot two years in a row.

Randy- great to hear that the DWR is trying to acquire Tabby Mountain. Hopefully they can make the deal work. I would still like to see SFW step up to the plate and ask for hunter input/donations during the upcoming expo this spring. I feels like the type of opportunity that could really make a difference.

I asked my state representative about it and here was his reply.

“The purpose of this is to transfer ownership from the School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration to the Department of Natural Resources so a state park can be created. The goal is to do as you expressed, to prevent development of this area and ensure public access to the land. I don't know why they're doing it this way but I'd guess it's a legal requirement when moving ownership from school trust lands to state ownership.”

Then I said I was afraid a developer or somebody else would buy it and he said this. I hope he is correct. . “It will only be sold to the State of Utah. This is just part of the transfer of authority.“

“I’m guessing they put the public sale price at $41 million to prevent any others from trying to outbid the state. That is twice the fair value of the land and would not be economically viable for any land developer.”

The bid window has been extended for 30 days by Sitla to provide more of a chance for someone to outbid the DWR.

is 82,000 people all put $500 in a hat we could buy it right now and all 82,000 of us could hunt there.

It would be similar to the hunting pressure in Nebraska on the public land. lol

7 bid packets went out today with 1mil earnest money due 2-15.
Hopefully DWR doesn't get outbid and I wonder who the other 6 are.
Unfortunately I doubt sitla would cancel sell if dwr did not win.

Back