Caribou Gear

7mm-08 tikka t3x compact

MINOOKA

OK decided on a tikka t3x compact in 7mm-08 which be used for whitetails in PA, shots being less than 100 yards. What factory ammo would somebody with a tikka t3x compact recommend to try. Leaning towards something in 120 grain because of neck and shoulder problems

120 grain VOR-TX by Barnes -- take lead out of your game :) My Tikka T3X SS loves them. (and even more so handloading)

Spend an extra $50 and put an Air Tech recoil pad on it and it wont' matter what bullet weight you shoot through it. That said, I'd think a 120 Ballistic tip, or a 120 TTSX would be the Hammer of Thor on whitetails. I personally use 140 BT's and AB's.....can't really tell any real difference in the recoil between any of the 120-140 loads I've shot in the past 20 yrs.

Now is the time to lose the lead. I’d try a variety of copper offerings and stick with what shoots best.

For shots to those distance, in a 7-08, I'd just find which ever is cheapest and will shoot 3 under 2" at 100yds and weighs 120gr or more. A whitetail at those distances isn't much of a test and most anything would work.

I suggest Hornady's Custom Lite 7mm-08 120gr SST - particularly with neck/shoulder issues. I bought it in .308 for my son and wife to use and found it so accurate and effective inside 100 yds that I began using it myself.

Spend an extra $50 and put an Air Tech recoil pad on it and it wont' matter what bullet weight you shoot through it. That said, I'd think a 120 Ballistic tip, or a 120 TTSX would be the Hammer of Thor on whitetails. I personally use 140 BT's and AB's.....can't really tell any real difference in the recoil between any of the 120-140 loads I've shot in the past 20 yrs.
Do you know the model number for that gun

Never shot the 120gr loads through my M70 7mm HT, but the 140gr Ballistic tips loaded by winchester will put any whitetail in it's tracks. Only had 2 ever run with that load, furthest one made it 50 yards. Usually the only time they move after being shot is if they're goin downhill. I grew up in similar country in NY, most shots were 60 yards and under.

I know a couple of folks back home (I live in AZ now) that have made the switch to copper, and they all love hammering whitetails with the Barnes TTSX loads, no matter the caliber

MINOOKA - A good recoil pad will help, but I assume it's the recoil from the bench that's causing your neck & shoulder issues?

If so, try a PAST recoil pad instead, they work wonders on reducing felt recoil.

MINOOKA - A good recoil pad will help, but I assume it's the recoil from the bench that's causing your neck & shoulder issues?

If so, try a PAST recoil pad instead, they work wonders on reducing felt recoil.

Yes, I'm not worried about a couple of shots while hunting. Would it be easier to just get a led sled

Yes, I'm not worried about a couple of shots while hunting. Would it be easier to just get a led sled

I prefer PAST recoil pad for my 300WSM, as my bench shooting is for load development and locking a gun in a lead sled can make minor differences in how the gun shoots - depends on your level of OCD and YMMV. I agree the one or two shots a season hunting, no need for either.

Also, if staying under 200yds, reduced recoil loads are commercially available and can be easily hand loaded for 7mm08 using H4895.

Last edited:
Yep, what VikingsGuy said.

I have a 15 " Uncle Bud's bull bag for a rest and it does help soak up some recoil, while providing a solid rest that can easily resemble some hunting conditions while still giving the shooter maximum control over the rifle.

For 100 yard whitetails, a 7mm can't do anything a .243 won't do.

But if you want a 7mm and have recoil issues, I'd maybe look to a little heavier gun than a Tikka.

I shoot 120 barnes vortx out of my howa 7mm08. Very accurate and while I've never shot a deer with it, it knocks down antelope very well. I think it would be great medicine for whitetails.

I have a regular sized Tikka 7-08, the only thing I've shot is the Federal 140 nosler ballistic tips. I've killed two mature whitetail bucks at less than 60 yards, and two antelope from 250-300. I had come to not like ballistic tips in faster cartridges, but with the moderate velocity of the 7-08, they work well. My Tikka shot them right at 1" fresh out of the box. After a little break it, they have gone down to about 3/4".

I shoot Federal Fusi9n 140 grain loads for my 7mm Hunttalk. Shoots great in my Remington Model 7 FS, but I too may switch to lead free. I handload for several calibers but the Fusions shoot so well that I haven’t for that gun for many years!

image.jpgI have 22 boxes of factory federal premium ammo with 140 grain Barnes triple shock bullets. I bought them on close out but my custom 7mm-08 seems to like hand loads with a longer overall cartridge length than I can get with factory ammo, so I now re load. I’d sell them for $15 a box plus shipping. I’d pay for shipping if you wanted all of them. No worries either way just thought I would throw that out there.

Andy
[email protected]

Did you every find a load that your Tikka likes? I tried a few different boxes of factory ammo in my T3 Forest (Hornady SST, American Whitetail, and a few custom hand loads that a friend made) and it ended up liking plain old Remington Cor-lokts the best. This was my first year hunting with the 7mm-08 and very pleased with the performance of the caliber.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back