Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anyone hunt hogs in SE New Mexico?

S

sharpshooter97

Wondering if anyone has had any success hog hunting around the pecos river? I'm going to be doing some hunting that way around new years. Hearing of hogs north of carlsbad and being there is tons of public land around that area I'm going to check it out. I'm originally from the north so hog hunting is not something I'm familiar with, any tips would help thanks.

I hunted small game/waterfowl at seven rivers and Brantley wma's a while back and saw lots of pig sign near the banks of the Pecos river. Also noticed that the NMDGF had pig traps in the area. I would call the area game warden for more info.

I have seen sign but not where there was public in NM. Years ago.
Know a guy from Weed that is tight lipped about NM pigs & gets them...

I haven’t heard about many pigs lately. There was a population getting started but the usda came in and trapped and flew the river pretty hard a couple years ago and I haven’t heard much talk of people seeing wild hogs since then. I guess you never know unless you try though. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have not been in NM, for a number of years, but the Sacramento Mountains north of Timberon are-or at least were-getting to be full of them. I killed one with a mz loader one year, while deer hunting. I knew a guy that had a place in Bug Scuffle Ranch, on the west slope that figured them out and killed several every year. I lost contact with him a number of years ago. I think that the Circle Cross Ranch north of Timberon has quite a few, but as I said, I have not been in that country in a long time. I have never talked to anyone, who has seen/hunted them along the Pecos.

I hunted small game/waterfowl at seven rivers and Brantley wma's a while back and saw lots of pig sign near the banks of the Pecos river. Also noticed that the NMDGF had pig traps in the area. I would call the area game warden for more info.
Thanks, that was the area I was looking to hunt. I’ll let you guys know how it goes

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back