First IN buck in four years

midwesthunter

Well its been three seasons since I bought a deer tag in IN. Four years ago I got my son, 9 at the time into deer hunting. I decided I wouldn't hunt and just enjoy the woods and experience with him. He got a button buck his first year, then a buck and a doe every year since. Well he got his buck opening day of firearm season, and weather and our free time didn't work out to get back out again. So I sighted in his muzzle loader to get ready for that season. He was with his mom opening weekend, so I decided I would buy a tag and get me a deer. Well opening day I decided to go duck hunting with some buddies, I should have wend deer hunting because ducks weren't flying where we were. I look at the wind for Sunday and see it will shift mid morning, but the moon is just getting right. So I wait till after the wind shift and head to the woods at about 1210. Well just as I am getting through the swamp I see movement to the left 100-120 yards into the woods.
head bob here and there.
The lighting was such that it was hard to make the deer out moving in the brush, so I would just catch a tail flick or head bob, here and there. Then I see antlers moving with the does, I put the bino's on them and know its a big bodied deer and looks old. Perfect, so I bring the gun up against the tree I am standing behind waiting for a glimpse of the buck again. Well he stops in a tiny opening and looks directly at me. How did he know I was there? I hadn't moved, the wind was in my favor, I dial up the power very carefully and slowly of my scope. I have about a 6" left to right window about 50 yards between us and a small branch partially covering his vitals. Squeezed the trigger and with a puff of smoke he was gone. Some of his girlfriends were looking around like what was that? They went back to feeding and I quietly reloaded, but none of them were big enough that I wanted to shoot.

Long story short, took me 15 mins to sneak through the swamp and another 5 to wait for a shot. Which I was rewarded with a 7.5-8.5 year old whitetail that grossed 255lbs. He was a warrior, several scars on his forehead and back of the head, puncture wounds on his face.

48178726_2284505071559558_4183795872884064256_o.jpg

47177043_2284506048226127_3819671882718773248_n.jpg

Great deer! I shot the first buck in three years, this year. I usually just shoot does, as I like eaters, but I could not pass up a three-year-old, 400 yards from my house.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back