Caribou Gear

Alaska draw question

COEngineer

I have found 3 moose units that I think are viable (accessible from the highway system), but when I started filling out the draw form on the ADFG website, it asks how many times I want to apply for the first unit.

Do I increase my odds of drawing if I apply for multiple units? Or am I better off applying for just one unit multiple times?

I can only apply for 3 bull units, right? So, if the answer is to the above question is that I should apply for the same unit multiple times, then I should only put in three times, right?

Thanks for any help.

I have found 3 moose units that I think are viable (accessible from the highway system), but when I started filling out the draw form on the ADFG website, it asks how many times I want to apply for the first unit.

Do I increase my odds of drawing if I apply for multiple units? Or am I better off applying for just one unit multiple times?

I can only apply for 3 bull units, right? So, if the answer is to the above question is that I should apply for the same unit multiple times, then I should only put in three times, right?

Thanks for any help.

Are you just trying to draw a bull tag, if so then pick the unit with the best draw odds and use all your applications on that unit. If all the units have the same draw odds then it doesn't matter.

You can apply for 6 bull moose units as of this year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/a...439F6878368477C/2019-2020_draw_supplement.pdf

Read the first page of the supplement it will answer most of your questions.

You can apply for the same hunt up to 6 times or apply for 6 hunts 1x? As far as odds, depends on how many other people applied for the same unt 6x or just once.

As an FYI, those bull units off the highway system for NR, are pretty tough hunts from the highway... You're competing with a few thousand residents. NR are on a draw to limit people/participation. There are better OTC hunts just about anywhere else the road runs.

Bambi, the units that I am looking at have a table on the ADFG website:
Residency Number of Permits
Nonresidents Up to 20 permits
Alaska residents Up to 20 permits
Total Number of Permits Available 20 permits

So, I think it is totally limited, with no preference for Residents/Non-Residents regarding drawing the tag.
However, the season opens earlier for residents and there are antler restrictions for NR.

I am open to suggestions though, and I am certainly not an expert on the topic, so maybe I am still missing something.

Bambi, the units that I am looking at have a table on the ADFG website:
Residency Number of Permits
Nonresidents Up to 20 permits
Alaska residents Up to 20 permits
Total Number of Permits Available 20 permits

So, I think it is totally limited, with no preference for Residents/Non-Residents regarding drawing the tag.
However, the season opens earlier for residents and there are antler restrictions for NR.

I am open to suggestions though, and I am certainly not an expert on the topic, so maybe I am still missing something.

Yep, my mistake, I was assuming you were looking at the other hunts that are commonly confused as being "quality" hunts because they are on a draw.

I was a little confused as well when I applied last year, and still am to a degree.

You can look up draw odds, the hunt I drew was around 30%. But I put in 6 apps for it. So are the overall draw odds per applicant 30%, or 30% of all individual applications are drawn? If it's the latter, then 30% odds times 6 actually becomes a pretty good chance.

To illustrate: 30 tags, 100 applicants, 30% of folks applying drew a tag regardless of how many times there names were in the hat.

OR: 30 tags, 50 applicants, but everybody put in for the hunt twice for a total of 100 apps. 30% of the apps were successful, but 60% of applicants drew a tag.

I still don't know, but either way I got the tag and will be hunting it this spring, so I'm not awfully concerned about it.

IMO AK draw hunts depend fully on LUCK. Playing with statistics and draw percentages can be: fun, frustrating, useless. Without having any idea how many people put all 6 of their applications into a single hunt, its impossible to actually determine "draw percentages".
Apply for whatever turns you on and keep your fingers crossed.

This thread from another forum covers how the AK Draw system works.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/162070-DRAW-procedure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back