Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Where to apply 13 points to get aging dad a good bull in Utah

My dad and I have been accumulating points for 13 years, and while we were holding out for a premium LE unit it has become apparent that we need to lower our expectations a bit in order to draw a tag while he is still able to get around and actually enjoy the experience. My dad is 71 and I am 45, and though he can still get up and down the hills a recent bout with cancer a couple years back has significantly slowed his pace.

I spent a couple of hours on Sunday compiling a spreadsheet based on draw odds, harvest data, unit size, age objectives, and hunter satisfaction scores. With 13 points, applying as a group and the senior point (I think that is a thing) that puts us as a lock on some pretty good general units/cwmu's, but I wanted to ask a favor of the HT public and see if anyone has any advise for us to get a good bull on the wall for my father?

What units/cwmu's would you recommend applying for with about 13-15 bonus points?

Any response would be appreciated. Feel free to DM me if you would rather keep the info off the forum.

Anywhere you want Greenhorn :)

If I had 22 points I would put in for Deseret CWMU. Having spent quite a bit of time up there in the past 6 years, the quality and amount of bulls on that ranch are second to none. Add in the first class treatment by the ranch and it is a no brainer.
However, if you are into hauling out a bull on your back for several miles and thousands of vertical feet I would chose elsewhere.

Lots of good units in Utah you can draw with that many points. Use GoHunt and you will find several options, such as a late rifle season in the Manti unit.

No such thing as a Senior Point. There are some Management deer hunts that they give 35% of the permits to people over 65.

You are right elkantlers. Perhaps that was an urban legend to get us youngish folks to keep applying with their parents :) .

I also looked up the management deer hunts, I did not realize that they held a certain percentage for youth and a certain percentage for seniors. Seems like a great idea.

I have 15 and don't seem to get any closer at drawing my chosen unit. I really don't want to burn the points on a unit that is going to give me a good shot at a 330 bull. Was kinda hoping for 350+ but I may be waiting till I'm 65 for a unit like that to open up

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have heard good things about the Delores Triangle late tag, so that is in the mix. Late Wasatch looks intriguing.

Anyone spend any time on the Deep Creek range?

@Lawnboy I am in the same boat. At 45 and 13 points I probably have another 10 years to draw what I am really after.

Deep Creek has some great bulls, but can be a bit of circus with the reservation boundaries, and a lot of elk crossing back and forth.

Deep Creek could be good, but would take a bit of luck. The reservation boundaries would be a concern for me and the country is not "easy".

Depending on your connections in the area, the Cache, Meadoville unit could be good. The country is definitely easy enough to get around in with all the roads. Access to some of the private could be a big plus!

I am very familiar with Cache Meadowville having hunted that area for deer for many years. I hadn't even looked at that option.

I am familiar with one CWMU on the south side that holds some good elk. I don't think this goes west far enough to border Hardware ranch though.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back