Caribou Gear

Where to apply 13 points to get aging dad a good bull in Utah

Deep Creek could be good, but would take a bit of luck. The reservation boundaries would be a concern for me and the country is not "easy".

Depending on your connections in the area, the Cache, Meadoville unit could be good. The country is definitely easy enough to get around in with all the roads. Access to some of the private could be a big plus!

Can Cache Meadowville be hunted on on public land? Sounds like it's pretty locked up and access is extremely tough.

With Onx map in had Deep Creek would not worry me. Easy country is not necessarily what we are looking for, just good opportunities on quality bulls. My pops has slowed down to the point that we are finally going about the same pace these days. Some nasty country is not going to hold us back. It may take us a bit longer, but that has stealth and quiet written all over it.

Depending on what you consider a good bull, I would look at late rifle hunts on Fishlake or Manti. Both units produce 320 plus bulls. If Muzzleloader could be an option those same units can be really fun.

There is a reason the early rifle hunt on Meadowville can be drawn with 4 points. Don't burn 13 on it!

We have our eyes on a couple of CWMU's right now. Need to contact some insiders and get the low down on the quality of bulls on the unit, but the stats so far look good. More digging. Oh well, keeps me busy this time of year.

I'd go Manti. Tons of access. Good bulls. We camp/hunt it all year, if you draw is be happy to share info

Any particular Manti unit or season? It appears there are a myriad of Manti-La Sal-Central mountains hunts with early mid and late seasons.

My good friend also just suggested Manti.

Central Mountains- Manti is where most are referring to. As far as season, 13 most likely won't get an early rifle tag, but you could get muzzleloader (My suggestion) or late rifle. Either hunt should produce a chance at a good bull (310-340). There are bigger, but if you don't know where one specifically is, I would not pass on a 320 bull. Just my opinion on that unit. My wife hunted the early rifle last year and took a mid 330s bull. I would share some info if you draw.

I spent a minimum amount of time in the deep creek range this summer. I did see some decent bulls (~320ish tops) and one crazy big 5 point. I worry it might be tough hiking for your 70 year old pops. I would be tempted to look at La Sal. With 13 points you should have really good odds of drawing the September any legal weapon tag.

Thanks RidgeRebel. I would be happy with a 330 bull for sure. Only thing I really have to make sure of is that my dad shoots one bigger than me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back