Browning vs. Savage, Tikka

I'd also recommend you take a look at Bergara. They're building some really nice rifles that are as accurate as anything out there. Also they are a Rem700 footprint so lots of available aftermarket stocks, triggers etc.
I have the B14 Ridge in 6.5cm and the thing shoots wonderful.
If you're on Facebook there's a 15k+ member Bergara group on there with lots of good info
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028610370606263/

Definitely on the short list for next gun.

I don't care for Browning rifles, but they are killing it with twist rates. mtmuley

I'm not sure how you are with gear - I tend to flip rifles pretty quickly depending on if I really jive with them or not. If I really like them, they stick around and get hunted. I don't have any safe queens.

With that said, Savage rifles have by far the worst resale. I've had a couple for awhile now and they just don't move. Brownings and Tikkas? If you want to sell them, they're gone in a week or two locally for fair prices.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I've owned multiples of all three, and all have shot.

FWIW, I have not found my xbolt hells canyon speed in 300WM to have a heavy trigger at all. With factory ammo it was shooting MOA. With handloads, I cloverleaf. If you can find one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I have no desire to have anything else for my primary biggame rifle.

Same here. My xbolt hells canyon long range in 7mm has a great trigger and shoots 5 shot moa groups. I don't have any desire for another rifle right now either.

Bass Pro Shops has the xbolt hells canyon speed, 6.5 creedmoor, on sale for $899 with the mail in rebate right now which is a pretty significant discount. Probably about as cheap as you are going to get new for a speed.

Same here. My xbolt hells canyon long range in 7mm has a great trigger and shoots 5 shot moa groups. I don't have any desire for another rifle right now either.

Bass Pro Shops has the xbolt hells canyon speed, 6.5 creedmoor, on sale for $899 with the mail in rebate right now which is a pretty significant discount. Probably about as cheap as you are going to get new for a speed.

If we weren't going to key west in Jan, I would buy that in a heart beat. wow.

For those of you that would like a better trigger on the X-Bolt, look to Mcarbo.com, as they sell springs to lighten the trigger pull.

I have a savage 110 with a reputable gunsmith trigger job and another with a stock acutrigger. The acutrigger is good enough to make me unhappy with the gunsmith trigger job. I think an aftermarket is available for either if that's important. But it will suffice to say the acutrigger has now been copied by at least two other companies.

The savage has a new accufit stock in some models. I've never had a rifle that really elevated my eye to the scope until now even with 40mm objective. Yeah, there's other ways to do it like a cheek pad but not as good as this.

Savage also has an accustock with an aluminum bedding to up your chances of accuracy without glass bedding.

All in all, savage is making innovations and uses 'yankee ingenuity' mass production processes that not only made this country great and won us several wars but provide us rifles that are of terrific practical quality for a good price point.

Timney also makes a trigger for the x bolts now. Had one installed in both of my x bolts and it made a world of difference compared to the factory triggers.

Timney also makes a trigger for the x bolts now. Had one installed in both of my x bolts and it made a world of difference compared to the factory triggers.

Do you lose any functionality with the timney trigger? I vaguely remember something about you losing the three position safety or maybe it was the bolt release when on safe but either way I had read it loses something if you swap the trigger out.

Do you lose any functionality with the timney trigger? I vaguely remember something about you losing the three position safety or maybe it was the bolt release when on safe but either way I had read it loses something if you swap the trigger out.

My xbolt doesn't have a 3-position safety, so I don't think that's it. Maybe the bolt release then?

My xbolt doesn't have a 3-position safety, so I don't think that's it. Maybe the bolt release then?

Correct, the bolt release button is what you lose looking at it. Doesn't look like the timney trigger has the pin that would push up on the bolt release button to make it functional.

Just purchased a Hells Canyon LR in 6.5 CM and put a VX3i cds on it. I'm super excited to try it out. The first new rifle I have ever owned. Had to save gift cards and cabelas points for years, and then wait for a rebate. I sure hope it shoots good. I'm sure I will be the weak link in the deal.
Mac

A few years ago i was asking people about the X-bolts. I saw one in a BPS and just could not stop thinking about it, one day i took the plunge and bought an X-bolt in 30-06, once i broke the barrel in the rifle really shined in the accuracy department. Probably one of the best decisions I've made, and plan on adding another one to my collection soon.

I own both and are extremely accurate.
Browning Xbolt Hunter 30-06
Savage 111 .270 Win.
No complaints on either, as for Tikka, I know a couple friends that own and they like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back