Kansas buck

Mudranger1

..just doesnt have the same ring to it as Colorado Buck.
So I put in for Kansas a muzzleloader tag this year. I didnt see a single whitetail during my time there in September to my dismay. Bring on the rifle season. If you dont know in Kansas your muzzleloader tag is good during the rifle season you just have to still use the muzzleloader. Being December now and shorter daylight hours there was no way I could get to my previous spot before dark which would just leave me a 1 day hunt. So I checked the map and found a piece of public and walk in areas that I could get to with about an hour to hunt the first evening. Figured something is better than nothing. I headed over Tuesday and hit this new spot. Saw about 10 deer and could have filled my doe tag but I was unaware I could access the property they were standing on. (Owned by pheasants forever) Wednesday morning could have shot a small forky first thing and about an hour later a bigger forky disappeared on me. The grass was high enough if you didnt follow them then you often lost them. Around 830 I see a group of does being chased around by a buck at about 1000 yards. They finally bedded in some tall grass so I made a move. I ran out of cover about 400 yards away and they eventually got up and fed off to the property to the north. That evening my hunt was interrupted by some bird hunters. So I saw deer they were just running everywhere except by me. So this weekend I was supposed to be taking my son for his Colorado deer tag but he backed out and off to Kansas I went. I got there Saturday around 4pm and setup. 1 small buck around 400 yards cruised the treeline but that was it. This morning got up and spotted a deer working a ridgeline as I walked in with it breaking daylight. I notice 5 deer streaking across an open field and see a late arriving truck coming down the road. I try to find the original deer but can not turn it up again. I find a spot to set up against a Bush in some tall grass. I can see about a mile in a couple directions, a couple hundred to my left and 0 to my right. I pick 2 deer up pretty quickly about 1000 yards out in the grass but cant make out where they are going or what they are. As I'm sitting there I think I should probably get my bipod set up just in case. I set it up and start glassing again. It couldnt have been 2 minutes and I put my binos down. Straight in front of me, at maybe 25 yards, coming from my right I see bright white antlers. He stops looking away so I pick up my gun and actually remember to @#)(# it. BOOM. he runs about 40 yards and I think he goes down but am not sure. Everything happened so damn fast I couldnt even decide where he was at when I shot. I had my camera setup next me but again it didnt get turned on. So I ease over to where I thought he went down and see the white sticking up! He is my biggest whitetail and was an absolute giant body wise. I'm not sure I will do Kansas again anytime soon but it turned out awesome!View attachment 91478View attachment 91479View attachment 91480

Attachments

• 20181209_110649.jpg
    20181209_110649.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 806
  • 20181209_101043.jpg
    20181209_101043.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 804
Seems like you had lots of deer behavior to watch. He was worth the third trip!

Congratulations

Great story. There was a new public property opening this year near Syracuse that was made possible by the Pheasents Forever. Did you manage to see many mule deer in that areas?

Great story. There was a new public property opening this year near Syracuse that was made possible by the Pheasents Forever. Did you manage to see many mule deer in that areas?

Where I shot the whitetail no. Where I was in September yes bunches

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back