Winchester Model 670

skyfire

I have my grandfather’s Winchester Model 670 in 30-06 and would like to get it ready for the 2019 season. I really like the idea of taking my first big game with an old family rifle. It took considerable effort to get the action and stock apart, but I’m now able to deep clean 40+ years of oil and grime off some parts. Getting a new scope on there to replace the original 4x Weaver scope will be nice and allow me to get out and shoot this a bit.

The 670 has the original birch stock. I’m torn on whether to keep the wood stock or replace with a synthetic. If I keep the wood stock a recoil pad would be a nice addition as there’s nothing but the OEM base plate on there now. I’m also thinking of adding some studs for a sling. Free floating the barrel and glass bedding the action might be in order too.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking to do to get the most out of this rifle?
Thanks!

C5987A0B-1D34-4702-AFAA-74CB032CC8A0.jpg

5654B1A5-CD11-4AD5-A730-208A8DFA47C9.jpg

I'd refinish the stock and have it glass and pillar bedded. I think the stock would look really nice with some TLC! The 30-06 sure is a great cartridge and H4350 and IMR4350 are your friend. A good 165 gr. bullet like the Nosler Accubond and Partition are excellent choices for a one bullet does everything hat trick also. Nothing wrong with the Nosler E-tip either.

I have some ideas on where to start with loads if you care to PM me, but I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself also. Best of luck on a fine rifle!

Or put a synthetic stock on it and refurbish/keep the original. Birch is soft wood, it will show wear from hunting. When it is time, put the preserved wood stock back on it. Got to love a gun w family history:hump:

Keep it original!!!! i like the idea of taking it apart and giving her a deep clean . but thats it .

buy a used gun from your shop and make it what you want .. just don't mess with the family gun . hunt with it make memorys and then hand it down again someday.

For your first big game animal use the rifle the way your Grandfather used it. Leave the 4x weaver on it and clean the gun up and use it for your first animal. That way it will be as if your Grandfather is there right beside you. The feeling of doing it his way will be priceless. Keep it as original as you can with the exception of a scope upgrade. Then if you feel the need to experiment pick up another rifle and have at it.

Enjoy
Dan

Alright, this one stays as close to original as it can. I've been reluctant to really get in and change anything on it that didn't need to be done. Your feedback here has confirmed that.
I hope to get it all cleaned up throughout this week. I'll find out how well we shoot together soon enough.

The m670 is a great rifle. I agree keep it original. Just give it a good cleaning and adjust the trigger if you feel confident in that.

I'd take that Birch stock over any plastic stock. If/when you refinish it be sure to remove the butt plate and seal with a coat or two of stock finish. Also finish inside the action barrel channel and it there is a grip cap remove it and finish under it to. Those places are often missed and let moisture into the stock.

You could always add a slip on recoil pad if necessary. If you do replace the scope, I'd definitely hold on to the original as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back