ALPS MOUNTAINEERING Tasmanian 2 Tent

I have the Tasmanian 3. Nice tent. I used it in weather that was in the teens with minimal snow. I'm not a 4 season tent professional but, I do like the tent. The tasmanian 3 is on Steep and Cheap for the same price as you listed. The one major draw back I didn't like was how heavy it is. But I'm definitely not taking it backpacking.

The wife and I have a Alps Mtn Zephyer -3 tent and have used the snot out of it the last 4 years. The think was a little heavy for the Appalachian Trail but worked well since I had my 130# service dog with me (and occasionally another occupant) but their tents are BOMBPROOF!
We havent even had a dog tear through the floor yet and I always have my big guy with me so its been maybe an honest couple of hundred nights that we have spent in it.
Rain storms along the AT - stayed dry.
Wind shear at 10,500' that flattened every other tent on the mountain - lots of rocks as ballast and tie offs of the guy lines and we slept through the night.
My only complaint is the weight *shrugs* but for the price and years of use I'll take that penalty.
I have a AM sleeping bag that I picked up for almost nothing on steep&cheap a year or so ago and it exactly mirrors my experiences with their tent - slightly heavy, very good price, bombproof. The same with my AM/RMEF bino harness - I keep waiting on it start fraying or come apart so I can justify the expense of an AGC upgrade but it just keeps tooling along.
-Brian

I have an alps mountaineering tent (not the same model) but it's been incredible as a car camping tent for the better part of 9 years. I've used it in downpours and in heavy snow (had to wake up and knock the snow off by kicking the walls) - but for a sub-$200 tent it's been a godsend. I did seam seal all of the interior seams at home as soon as I got it, and now the windows are starting to rip a bit, but I bet I've had at least 500 nights sleeping in that tent over the years. Their aluminum poles are bomb proof - it's been by go-to backpacking tent for really incliment weather as well. At over 6 pounds for a 3 person tent, it's not the lightest tent on the market, but I have an ultralight tent for more normal conditions.

Anyways, not sure if that's useful info or not, since my tent is a completely different and older model.

I have the Alps Lynx, it held up to Wyoming's late season weather for me. It's a 3 season, but i dealt with wind, rain, sleet and snow and never a problem.

I have the Tasmanian 3. Nice tent. I used it in weather that was in the teens with minimal snow. I'm not a 4 season tent professional but, I do like the tent. The tasmanian 3 is on Steep and Cheap for the same price as you listed. The one major draw back I didn't like was how heavy it is. But I'm definitely not taking it backpacking.
Have a taz 3 as well. Held up well in the Wyoming wind. But as stated way to heavy to haul around but for truck or base camp would be ok.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back