Caribou Gear

A Great Way To Give Back!!

SFC B

Hey everyone I have had a pretty exciting night last Saturday. I have been looking for ways to give back some as I have been really lucky in my life and the recent loss of my Father a couple of weeks ago has given me even more perspective. One of the great things I have received in the last few years are the opportunities to share hunting camps with other disabled Vets. Tonight was my first meeting as an Adventure Advisory Committee member with American Heroes in Action here in Colorado. I am volunteering in order to try and find and coordinate outdoor opportunities for other disabled Vets. I am sending this out to all my friends, here and on another forum I frequent and PLEASE SHARE with everyone you know, in order to try and find folks with hunting, fishing and any other outdoor recreation opportunities they are willing to share with disabled Vets. Even though the organization is HQd here in CO we have Vets from all over that have contacted us looking for something like we try to provide. At our board meeting we were speaking about our hunts for the year and I was talking about having just returned from Thanksgiving (even though I didn't hunt) and the director stopped me in mid-thought. He asked "YOU are from Indiana?" and I told him that I was from Indy and the wife from Warsaw. He told me about the IN Vets he had on the list and asked if I would personally be coordinate some outings for them!!! So far we have one maybe on a property and I will be speaking with that landowner this week when I am home for my father's funeral. I am looking for help finding some more for sure. The BLUF on what I am asking for is folks with access to land willing to share it with a small group (2-4) of Vets (usually combat wounded/injured like myself). Any limits as to size, gender etc of game are fine....this is not a "trophy hunting" thing, it is about Vets sharing the woods and experience with other Vets. The organization takes care of licensing fees and logistics and I would be thrilled to discuss possibilities with any of you (PM me if you would like). I am attaching the link so you can get all the details on AHIA as well.... thanks and if you have any ideas or leads please contact me!!!! Thanks, Larry

americanheroesinaction.org/

Thanks. I have a meeting tonight with a guy here in Indiana who is a maybe for next season. Wish me luck!!

Meeting went great and I have my first Vet hunt set up ....I think I am more excited to be able to get other guys out than for my own hunts. ;)

are you just looking for people to take Vets hunting? I'm not 1 but might be willing to help out. I will say this I took a young man (think he was still in the Army but was being medically discharged) His son played football with mine and the Wives set it up. he spoke a language I had no idea what he was saying as all he friends were Army too. We had a good time hiking his gun around but there were some strange signs. He was in shape but when we would stop after climbing his ass would hit the ground to rest and literally just pop right up like he had been sitting for 10 minutes or so. Turned out he was dealing with severe PTSD and several other things. I got to be honest I felt pretty uneasy about the whole thing afterward. It might have been a little different if I had known all this going in but. I guess what I'm saying is I can't relate but am willing to maybe participate/help out lol

MR, usually we g et groups of Vets tofether, partly because of what you describe. There is a large range of shared experiences that are unique to Vets. Send me a PM about what you would consider doing. Anything I'm involved in I coordinate personally so I would get a handle on who would be going and what their situation is. Thanks for offering!!!

Christmas is getting close.....here is a bump for anyone feeling in the giving mood. If you have ANY inclination to become involved PLEASE PM me and let's talk. Thanks, as always!!

I just got back from another board meeting and I continue to be excited. As the end of the year nears, if you are looking for a tax deductible place to give PLEASE consider AHIA. On top of getting the deduction your $$$ goes directly to outdoor adventures for disabled Vets. Bonus, if you know of any hunts/adventures you want to fund directly you can let me know and we can do that as well. Further, if you know any outfitters that would be interested/willing to donate any type of adventures they can deduct that as well. Please let me know anything you can think of.

https://americanheroesinaction.org/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back