Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado plains elk

You have about a 1 in 1000 chance of seeing any elk on public. I hunt out east quite a bit, and have yet to see any. I do however buy the tag every year just in case I do. Guess my point is, it's a waste to head out east with only the goal of finding elk on public land. Buy an elk tag and head east to go coyote or bird hunting.

Just like everyone else stated… unless you know some private land owners with land holding habitat for elk near or east of I-25, if the answer is “Nope” you will be wasting your time this late in the season.

Here you have an example, if you go to the Colorado Leftover Tags, you will see the following tag regarding Elk: EF128L1R, this tag runs from 09/01/2018-01/31/2019 and is a “C” Tag for an Elk-Cow. Normally you will think that private ranchers should be able to allow you to hunt their lands for this tag because Parks & Wildlife Officer created this “C” Tag perhaps as a request from some ranchers in order to downside the amount of cows in GMU 128, specially this late in the season. However, most ranchers will not give you permission to hunt their lands. If you thinking about this tag this late in the season, visit the Colorado Hunting Atlas, go to GMU 128, Activate Game Species, Elk and all Sub-Categories. You will see that Elk goes a little into GMU 128 but all of that area is private to include Orlando Reservoir.

Better chances if you find a leftover tag for Deer or Pronghorn. Keep checking the Left Over List, it changes daily. Just my 2 cents. – ColoradoHunter719

Colorado Tag Drawing System explain by Randy Newberg
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IJDmCHb3Q&t=458s

Back