Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

....not this again

CuttersAndRakers

Hey everyone,

hoping to pick the collective brain of the hunttalk forum. I've been looking at picking up a tikka t3x superlight and am having trouble deciding which cartridge to go with. I'd like to have a do-it-all rifle for western hunting, from whitetail to elk. I've been reading a bunch of articles and forums and eventudally you end up just going in circles. I'd like to use a long action cartridge, as all tikkas are built off a LA, that is unless there is a good reason to go SA. For a while I was decided on a 7mm RM but have been bouncing back and forth between that and a 30-06. Any great advantage to go 7mm over the 30-06?

Thanks!

Realistically i'd like to keep shots under 400 but don't want to end up regretting not getting something with more reach. I don't reload.

I'm personally an '06 guy. It'll reliably kill anything in North America within 500 yards and has been doing that for the past 100+ years. The recoil isn't bad, it's easy to find ammunition, and it'll shoot about a bazillion different bullets. Plus, there's not much more american than the .308 caliber.

Second best would be a .270. It'll do everything the '06 will do, possibly better.

Although you'll hear different things, the main rifles that I've heard of being picky with ammunition are 7mm's. However, they kill what you hit and are a great cartridge. You'll get more recoil and a faster traveling bullet.

Do you have other rifles in other calibers?

I have one rifle, a .264 win mag, didn't grow up hunting needed a rifle and got a great deal on it. I only have one load for the rifle and have used it on mule deer, white-tails, pronghorn, black bear, elk, caribou, and plan on using it for moose. My only complaint is that it's a huge pain to get factory ammo or even reloading components, big stores don't carry much in 6.5 for reloading.

If I was going to trade this gun for something else I would get a left handed tikka in .300 win mag. 7mm is a great caliber but it still doesn't have quite the ammo availability of the .300 win mag.

Thanks for all the replies. Wllm1313, this would be my one rifle, offloading my current 30-06 to a friend to help fund the purchase. I guess I was mostly looking at something different but its hard to argue with the affordability of the 30-06 ammunition compared to the 7mm and less recoil in a light gun.

How's about recommendations for a scope, looking at a vx3i 3.5-10 with cds with the idea to stretch ranges for fun. Any reason to go with the vx3 in 4.5-14 or jump up to the vx5 line, say the 2-10?

Thanks again!

Keep asking questions like that and we are going to cost you a lot of money. You could almost throw a dart at a cartridge chart and hit a round that will do what you're wanting. I personally have a 7RM as my main go to rifle. I'd ask yourself how much you want to spend on ammo for a small increase in "power" at the cost of increased recoil/cost per round. Or would you rather go with a more pedestrian round that you could buy a lot more ammo for the same amount of money and less recoil. If long action is a deal breaker..I'd go 30/06. Cheap ammo, versatile bullet weight range and I'll be the guy that says it'll be easier to find on a trip in case you ever forget the ammo at home.

With some of the new bullets and powders available today the .06 ain't no slouch. Too bad you don't handload. I'd still.probly go .06 or .300 Winchester, but I'm a .30 caliber kind of guy. mtmuley

For your intended ranges & game, the 30-06 will do it all. The 7mm RM is no slough, but ammo costs & recoil, if they're part of your equation, lean towards the 06.

Thanks for all the replies. Wllm1313, this would be my one rifle, offloading my current 30-06 to a friend to help fund the purchase. I guess I was mostly looking at something different but its hard to argue with the affordability of the 30-06 ammunition compared to the 7mm and less recoil in a light gun.

How's about recommendations for a scope, looking at a vx3i 3.5-10 with cds with the idea to stretch ranges for fun. Any reason to go with the vx3 in 4.5-14 or jump up to the vx5 line, say the 2-10?

Thanks again!

3.5-10x40 is perfect for what you’re doing.

I have that rifle in -06. With a VX-3 4.5-14. It shoots very well! I like the more powerful scope. I have the BDC type reticle. Maybe it's called Boone and Crocket? It's simple. It works. For my load I zero at 200, next line down is 300 and next like down is 380 yds. that's far enough for me.

3.5-10x40 is perfect for what you’re doing.

This. I have both of the scopes in question & the 3.5 is my preferred open country scope. I'd not overlook the 2.5x8 either. I have that on my 06 and am confident out to about 400 yards.

In regards to the scope, mostly wondering if it is worth it for the the zero lock on the vx5. I'll take a look at the 2.5x8 as well

Hey everyone,

hoping to pick the collective brain of the hunttalk forum. I've been looking at picking up a tikka t3x superlight and am having trouble deciding which cartridge to go with. I'd like to have a do-it-all rifle for western hunting, from whitetail to elk. I've been reading a bunch of articles and forums and eventudally you end up just going in circles. I'd like to use a long action cartridge, as all tikkas are built off a LA, that is unless there is a good reason to go SA. For a while I was decided on a 7mm RM but have been bouncing back and forth between that and a 30-06. Any great advantage to go 7mm over the 30-06?

Thanks!

Just do it. Don't worry about the haters; you won't be sorry. The .308 Win has been killing big game and bad guys for a lot decades and there is every kind of ammo imaginable out there for it. It fits the bill in every way for "general purpose" from WT to elk.

Back