Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

....not this again

30-06 ,.270 are both great rounds. The .270 is a flat shooting round and is big enough to take a moose at moderate distance. 30-06 will be a little heavier an won't reach out as far. The 7 mag will be a hot rod out as far as you can push it but it kicks harder. You can get close to.the same reach as the 7 mag with the .270 and .280. If you have the cash you can step the 280 up to an AI and get magnum preformance out of a non magnum round. Personally if you don't reload and want a good all around gun either 30-06 or .270 will kill anything you point it at and ammo is affordable.

I reload my .270 for sheep/caribou hunting.

The .270 is limited to ~150 grain bullets at the upper end.

Thanks for all the info, thought I'd update this thread.

Sportsman's had Sako A7 roughtechs (Stainless fluted with what looks like a bell and carlson stock) on sale for $699, $50 less than the Tikka superlights. Seemed like a good upgrade, especially since it seems the Tikka SLs aren't dropping down below $700 when on sale. I ended picking up the last one in the store in 30-06.

Congrats! Let us know how she shoots when you get to put some lead through her.

Thanks Ben.

Figured I'd ask about rings in this thread too. The Sako comes with 2 piece aluminum picatinny bases, however they recommend replacing them with steel for "high-powered cartridges"...not sure the point of including them. It seems like Talley lightweights have a big following, I'm looking either a set of those or a 2 piece picatinny/weaver steel base with something like the leupold prw rings, no protruding bolts etc. Any reason to go picatinny/weaver over the Talleys?

I personally don't think you'll have any problem with aluminum. I think people typically buy aluminum rings with aluminum scope tubes, and steel with steel. The thing you need to be aware of is squeezing the scope tube too much with the steel rings. And I really don't think that with the newer aluminum alloys they use that you'l have any problems at all.

It's not like the old '06 really has that much kick anyway. It's stout, but not a whole lot worse than many short actions.

I have a T3 superlite in 06 topped with a Vx3i 4-14x40 CDS. With nosler's trophy grade 165gr accubond factory load, it's a .5 inch grouping setup at 100 and am very comfortable out to 400. Recoil is stiff. The whole setup is sub 7lbs. Get the limbsaver pad. It's a little light for most of my hunting but is nice to carry. I have had 7mm's and am fond of the caliber but it would be pushing it for me in that kind of setup weight wise. I have a lot of confidence in this rig. Keep in mind I'm just shooting whitetails but it kills them promptly. I did however take a lope with it 2 years ago at 345 yds.

I 2nd this. I have the T3 lite in 30-06. The limbsaver makes a huge difference in felt recoil. I've used the 30-06 to kill deer, elk, bear, and hogs with no problem. I dont reload so I've enjoyed the ammo selection and availability of the 30-06 as well as cheaper ammo which lets me shoot often without breaking the bank.

Thanks for all the info, thought I'd update this thread.

Sportsman's had Sako A7 roughtechs (Stainless fluted with what looks like a bell and carlson stock) on sale for $699, $50 less than the Tikka superlights. Seemed like a good upgrade, especially since it seems the Tikka SLs aren't dropping down below $700 when on sale. I ended picking up the last one in the store in 30-06.

When I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, I went with a 30-06, so obviously you made and excellent choice! What it came down to, for me anyway, was magazine capacity and not very much real world increase in performance of a magnum vs standard cartridge. On paper, a 300 Win Mag vs 30-06/ 7 Rem Mag vs 270 looks like a definite upgrade. In the real world, to me, there is not the big gains that the industry publications claim. Especially once you figure in the increased recoil and muzzle blast, longer barrel to achieve the published velocities, ammo and component cost etc.

Just got to where I could start hunting more again last fall and this was my first score.

Model 70 Super Grade 30-06

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back