Montana late season rifle or archery

ndhunterman

Afternoon Gentleman,
Looking to see what the general consensus is....
Ive elk hunted MT 6 times some rifle, some bow.
Shot a few during rifle season, cows and small bulls.

When do you think the best time to elk hunt is? Im not going opening rifle- general tag, probably ever again, so have narrowed it down to archery season or the last 2 weeks of rifle. Cold-snow doesnt bother me.

What have been your experiences?

I really want to say late season so that you won't be there during archery...but I'm trying to be a better man...

I'm not sure what can beat the experiences of elk during the rut: crazed bulls, locating with calls, afternoon naps on mountainsides, no snow, less people...it is so nice.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you 406 about less people during bow, I have not enjoyed bow season the last few years because of all the people, guess I need to find new spots....

And maybe my bowhunting experiences are not consistent with the average...
I went to the little belts in 2017, dry year, all the elk were low on private ranches, easily the most frustrating hunt ive attempted.
Bowhunt #2 was in the breaks. Fun, saw lots of elk..but absolutly 0 response to any calling. I would try that hunt again, but theres something I love about the mountains.
Im truly not picky. Typically shoot the first legal elk.

My rifle hunts have all been during the 1st week, 2 in the little belts, 2 in the gravellies.
I would rather tolerate snow and cold than the # of people I encountered on these hunts. I guess what im really asking, are there less people out for rifle during the last 2 weeks than the first 3 weeks?

Last edited:
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you 406 about less people during bow, I have not enjoyed bow season the last few years because of all the people, guess I need to find new spots....

I would find somewhere else. As a rule I generally only see one or two guys while bowhunting. There are far less bow licenses sold than general tags, so that would make me think you are in an area of higher hunter density.

Debating between Bitterroots and Gravellies- Snowcrests...
Are either better for archery or late season?

You will likely see more elk in a day anywhere in Region 3 than you would a season hunting the Bitterroot Mountains. I'm curious what would make you consider hunting there?

The roots? Figured less elk, less people. I dont need thousands of elk, just the right 1.

Im so disgusted with the central region being little belts mostly, that id rather put up with wolves and grizz , so im heading farther west again.

The roots? Figured less elk, less people. I dont need thousands of elk, just the right 1.

Im so disgusted with the central region being little belts mostly, that id rather put up with wolves and grizz , so im heading farther west again.

There's not enough Grizzlies in the Bitterroots to worry about. You won't see many people either up there, so if that's your goal it's not a bad place to go. Just don't plan on killing an elk.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't see the new Meateater season and think they were actually in the Bitterroots when they said they were.

You will find no shortage of hunters in the Bitterroot.

Fun fact: The Bitterroot Range is the largest mountain range in Montana (over 300 miles long), and has numerous subranges - including the Coeur d'Alenes, the Saint Joe Mountains, The Beaverhead Range, and the Centennials. There's a lot of wiggle room when someone says they are in the Bitterroot Mountains.

Nothing bad about the Bitterroots at all ND, enjoy them.

Last edited:
No no no you dont. Why should I not plan on killing an elk besides my marginal elk hunting skills?

The mountain range that sits on the border of Montana and Idaho North of Lost trail pass has very few elk on public land, in the units that you can hunt with a general tag.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back