PEAX Equipment

Possible Relocation to Montana!

Mr. Fishunt

All,
This is my first post with, hopefully, many to follow.

Greetings from Georgia!

I have the opportunity to move to Montana and continue with my same career path.
I do two annual backpacking trips in the Rocky's each year and can't get enough of the mountains!

My territory will be from Bozeman to Kallispell, so I want to be somewhat centrally located.

I am considering Helena or Missoula.

I could live in Bozeman or Livingston, but that would be the outer edge of my territory.

Hunting, fly fishing, backpacking, hiking and ice fishing are the main focus for me. While my wife will be my companion for most of those pursuits, she is into running, working out at the gym, crafting, rock hounding and joining a church.

I am definitely going to buy a raft or a drift boat!

Why is Helena or Missoula better for the above mentioned activities? I should mention that while conservative, I can get along with liberals. The left wing and the right wing fly the same bird...

We are looking at 3-4 bedroom houses in or on the edge of town, as I will need home office internet and strong cell phone coverage.

Please offer up any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Missoula is pretty nice, Helena is full.......

Congrats on the potential move

I would recommend Helena. But then I'm a Bobcat and admittedly have a bias regarding Grizz country (Missoula). (It's a MSU vs U of M thing.);)

Seriously Helena has much to offer with respect to your preferred activities, as well as your wife's.

Actually if you're from Georgia you may want to stay away from the cold and go somewhere in the banana belt along the Bitterroot, that would be a good option.

It was -5 this morning at the Capitol City, and we're just getting started this winter, just sayin.......

Missoula is very liberal and the tax's are high. I don't believe they have ever met a bond issue they didn't like. This includes Missoula county, I didn't research this prior to buying in Seeley.
Great falls is cheaper to buy a home but is windy at times.....mainly between Jan 1st to Dec 31st the rest of the time it's calm. But they do enjoy chinook winds that are amazing.
Bozeman area is getting very high priced as is Missoula. Helena is growing and a nice area. If the cold bothers you then stay out of Mt. cause you can't get away from it.

Good luck,
Dan

If you're wanting to ice fish, Helena is where it's at. You're still within striking distance of the big lake on the eastern side of the state (that shan't be named...) and have real jumbo (12") perch just outside of town. If you head to Missoula, I'm not sure where the nearest great ice fishing places are, but it's not nearly as nice as being able to hop around the lakes in the middle of the state. The missouri river is great drift boat country.

I live down in Livingston, but I've always said if I knew a bunch of people in Helena, I wouldn't have any problem moving up that way instead.

Actually if you're from Georgia you may want to stay away from the cold and go somewhere in the banana belt along the Bitterroot, that would be a good option.

It was -5 this morning at the Capitol City, and we're just getting started this winter, just sayin.......

The Bitterroot really is full. And it's not always so balmy here like folks think. However, if the hunting, hiking and backpacking are high on your list, there's a pretty sizeable wilderness area fairly close. mtmuley

Last edited:
I think Helena would be a great place. I just drove through there last week on my way to Great Falls. I couldn’t believe there’s no snow on the yards. The winters can be long down here in Bozeman as we are sitting on 6 inches of snow on our lawn’s already. Everything you like to do can be had within an hour of Helena and the cost of living is nothing compared to Bozeman

Not and outdoor activity, but Missoula has Biga pizza :)

All,
Thanks for your comments and feedback!
We have chosen Helena as our new home!
We are most likely closing on a house on April 1.

I am looking forward to this new chapter in our life and am excited for the new outdoor pursuits that will be available.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

For your particular situation I think you made an excellent choice. Suburbs of Helena are still affordable and you're a short drive to anywhere in the state.

I think Helena would be a great place. I just drove through there last week on my way to Great Falls. I couldn’t believe there’s no snow on the yards. The winters can be long down here in Bozeman as we are sitting on 6 inches of snow on our lawn’s already. Everything you like to do can be had within an hour of Helena and the cost of living is nothing compared to Bozeman

The reason for no snow in the yards in Helena is because it's all on the street in front of Ben Lamb's house. :)

Congrats on your move. Hope you enjoy the state.

Congrats. Get everything done to establish residency asap. mtmuley

Yes, it takes 6 months to establish residency!!! I am going to fly fish in the fall and scout for elk and deer. Hopefully, I can still take part in the last week or two of archery season as a resident!

I'm leaving behind 30 years of free range Georgia whitetail experience 9 Point Resize 1.JPG and trading it it for much larger quarry!

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back