MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

General Tag Confusion

Estimator86

Hey HT!

I am searching for spots in MT to hunt next year. This will be my first season after moving from the midwest! I purchased goHunt to help shorten the learning curve, as well as onX. (Yeah, I'm a sucker but it'll help in the long run.)
So, I am confused on the units that I will be able to hunt with an OTC general deer/elk tag. I would like to hunt with a bow and if i'm not successful, rifle. I also would like to start building preference points for some better units. Are preference points "unit specific" or even "species specific"? I'm basically just very lost in the whole process.

Any help is appreciated!

1. You are not a sucker for getting OnX. If you learn it well, it will be the single most important piece of gear you have.
2. As a resident, virtually the entire state is an "OTC" opportunity for you. There are some draw only units for deer and elk. Deer in 270 and Elk in 380 are probably the most popular ones.
3. You can bow hunt and rifle hunt in any unit except those in point #2. There isn't a difference in the license. You will need the archery license for $10.
4. PP are not unit specific but species specific. When you apply, you put in for your top three choices of units.
5. Sit down and read the regs multiple times. It's really not as difficult as it appears.

I guess my question now is how can I distinguish between the units that I can hunt with the general tags and the units that I have to draw for?

Thanks for the help! Gohunt has a great breakdown of the regs and yes, OnX will be getting a renewed subscription.

I guess my question now is how can I distinguish between the units that I can hunt with the general tags and the units that I have to draw for?

Thanks for the help! Gohunt has a great breakdown of the regs and yes, OnX will be getting a renewed subscription.

Regs change every year. This past year they added a draw unit for mule deer bucks to R1. That was publicized. Sometimes they are not so easy to know. Your best bet is to study the regs each year. This knowledge will be hard won and not easily forgotten. It will make you more knowledgeable about potential areas and things you may not have known. There really are no shortcuts here.

Look at the regulations for each district. Any district that says, "General Deer License" or "General Elk License" means you can hunt there on your general tag. Additional regulations may apply re: sex, antler restrictions, etc., but those are listed about a half an inch below where it says "General Elk License"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back