Caribou Gear Tarp

Whats your 2019 plans

Mine will be hearing the sound of my tag clicking around a hog deers leg bone instead of this years sound of reporting poaching to the game warden standing over a gut pile!

Here is my bowhunting plans for 2019, if a miracle happens and draw something off the wall I will fit it as needed but right now I have two plans.

Plan A
August, Caribou 40 mile herd ( waiting on confirmation for our super cub flights)
Sept, elk hunting ...depends on where I draw
Oct, Newfoundland moose and woodland caribou
Nov, whitetails in the Midwest
Jan, late season mule deer or cous deer ...going to fit another cat hunt in too.

Plan B
August Lopes
Sept Elk hunting
October Newfoundland moose and caribou
November Iowa first two weeks
January mule deer or cous deer with a cat hunt in as well

January: Late season deer hunting in the swamp
February: Filling the remaining spots in the freezer with pigs

In between hunting seasons points for Wyoming elk and pronghorn, and maybe a 4 legged coon and/or squirrel hunting buddy.

September: Dove season kick off
October: Squirrel hunting, north Louisiana deer hunt
November: Arkansas wilderness hunt, deer near the house, duck hunt, and hunts with the nephew
December: Deer hunting in the swamp

I missed that bit!
I need to convince the wife in 2019!
Cheers
Richard

No worries Richard. Enjoy your beach vacation next year and we will see what happens after that. I have a son who has been bugging me to go to Wyoming to hunt antelope so I am sure any points I buy won't go to waste. Hoping you can make it.

I’m committed to my first hunt in 2019.
  • NM elk draw
  • NM deer draw
  • NM OTC bear
  • Idaho OTC deer
  • Colorado OTC elk if NM draw unsuccessful (maybe just do this no matter what if schedule allows)
  • Points for Wyoming elk & Colorado deer

Beginning
January, Lion, Wolf, Coyote, Trapping.
February, Asian Ibex, maybe Russian Boar too. Montana Wolf again.
April, May, Turkey, Bear.
June, July, Aug. Scout for whatever. Archery Antelope.
Sept. Elk, Deer, whatever.
Oct. Same
Nov. Same if tags filled on to Wolves
Dec. Wolves, lion, coyotes, Trapping.

Impressive group of folks around here.
I’ve got to start getting back into shape after a rough 2018. Spent the better part of April-June sick with some crazy infection, and July-September just returning to normal. Still dealing with little bouts but starting to feel better. Not to mention taking care of our newborn all the whilst.

Planning on getting some solid ice fishing done early on, spring turkey in April.
Assuming the financials are back in order and we draw, Wyoming elk with the rifle seems realistic.
If not, I’ll try to burn my Black Hills points.
If THAT doesn’t work... I’ll be perusing for leftover tags, maybe Colorado OTC

My 2019 starts with the most important hunt of all, as my daughter has her first ever hunting license, which is for AZ javelina. After that I'm focusing on learning how to catch walleye, and in the fall, 1st season bull in CO, 3rd season buck in CO...hoping to figure out a NM LO antelope doe tag for my daughter
And then the selfish hope for:
Sheep tag in WY,MT,CO,AZ,NV,TX,UT,ID
Or maybe a good elk tag... fingers crossed!

Other than my regular turkey hunting in the spring and whitetails in the fall here in Tennessee, my dad and I are planning on making his biggest bucket list trip while he still physically can, a float trip to deer hunt through the Breaks in MT in late October/early November. A buddy and I are also planning on returning to MT for archery elk unless we draw in NM or AZ. Will also be applying for antelope and a Jan 2020 archery deer in NM in one of the primo areas as a pipe dream. I still haven’t figured all the logistics for Dad and I’s deer hunt but I’m making it happen.

Moved to MT in June, so I get residency status this coming Wednesday.

December- Try to find a ranch for a shoulder hunt for cow elk, if I can still buy a tag. Keep chasing birds, maybe start ice fishing.
January- predators. Maybe try trapping a beaver or muskrat for mittens/hat. Guided goose hunt in SD (buddy won a trip).
April/May- Turkey, bear. Maybe MO turkey with family.
Aug- Archery Antelope (considering the 900 tag), General Archery Elk/Deer
Sep- General Archery Elk, Deer, Grouse! Waterfowl
Oct- Antelope, General Elk/Deer, Pheasants, Waterfowl
Nov- General Elk/Deer, Pheasants, Waterfowl

MT Deer
MT Moose
MT Goat

WY Elk (have 1 from 2018), looking for a good hunt in 5 years or so once I know more about it.
WY Antelope?

Research- MT Unlimited Sheep/Goat. Highly doubt I'll be ready for it this fall. Or next fall.

I try to get 1 trip in per month

August: hoping for another NM (or NV) Pronghorn
Late September/Early October: start with a South Dakota Pronghorn, then swing up to Montana for a 700 Pronghorn tag (1 trip-2 tags).
Late October: Utah General Deer, bringing my wife and 3 year old along
November: NM Mule Deer
December: AZ late elk or Kansas whitetail
And maybe throwing in a UT cow elk tag in late December/January

Was thinking of doing a caribou trip, but I’m going to Christmas Island to flyfish for a week in April 2020, so holding off on “big” trips for the next two years.

My schedule is pretty simple. Cat hunt thru Feb/Mar on my few days each week with my two hounds. Take my boy turkey hunting in SE MT this April/May. And plan to be laid off my construction project by late Oct/early Nov and big game hunt again with my boy to attempt to get his first elk (hopefully bull) and a good buck deer.
Currently, I’m really looking forward to Christmas to spend some time with wife, daughter, and son and sleep in my own bed. I’m super thankful for this past year and my wife/kids. Preston

big game combo hopefully in montana , and otc 2nd rifle bull in colorado . Excited for both already .

I try to get a week off per month during the fall, so I plan on one hunt per month if I am lucky. Much easier planning if I didn’t have to work.
Sep: Lucky with CO mule tag or AZ elk tag
Oct: Borderline WYO elk point draw/ burn pts on WYO Antelope/Deer combo hunt or 1st season CO Elk
NM can change all plans for OCT with elk/deer/pronghorn
Nov: AZ mule deer with luck/ Coues deer back up
Late season AZ Elk tag/ CO OTC as back up.
Little hope in drawing UT but who knows
Dec: freezer filling Texas doe tags
Jan: AZ archery safari or MX coues hunt

I am not certain what next year hold just yet, primarily because we will be adding an infant to an already volatile cocktail of the 2 toddlers in our house. The rough outline will probably look something like this.

Primary plan:
- MT Spring Bear
- MT Big Game Combo or Burning WY points for Deer and Antelope. (either way it these will probably be rifle hunts)
- Pheasants in MN
- Late Muzzleloader Whitetails in MN

Applications:
- MN Elk
- AK Sheep
- WY Deer/Antelope/Elk
- ID Moose
- CO Deer
- Bison Tags in various states (super intrigued about these guys since I scratched the MT Lion itch)

I might be might be missing something, but this is the rough idea...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back