Whats your 2019 plans

A lot is still in the air for me now. It really depends on if my wife has a due date during hunting season. I'd like to deer hunt 3rd rifle and go on a cow and bull elk hunts. When they are, I do not know. Luckily I don't have to make that decision until April. I'll buy points for WY as well.

How do you do early AND late muzzleloader in Iowa? Is that now legal? It wasn't years ago.

Fitting Wyoming muledeer round early muzzleloader can be a bit challenging - at least it would have been for me this year, but then I do the late season anyway.

I can do early muzzy with the state wide tag and late muzzy with a antlerless tag for a specific county.

My BIG HUNT: Himalayan Snow @#)(#: been planning this for 3 years.

Others for sure:
WA Elk/Deer
WY Antelope
MT Everything
ID Elk/Deer/Birds
SD Pheasant
SD Snow Geese

Possible Hunts:
UT Deer

I'll also be chasing the rarest trout in the world in CA: Paiute Cutthroat Trout

I plan on drawing goat tags for Idaho and Montana. Really looking forward to drawing those hunts.

Winter: Ling, Remainder of bird season, coyotes, cottontails
Spring: West-central MT Bear, sheds
Summer:Backpack trip with daughter and son in Tobacco Roots, Fish, Float, Fire
Fall: More bird hunting - may quit archery altogether just to hunt more birds, explore some new areas with a rifle in my hand - my love for hunting the same places over and over is limiting me

Overall: Lose some more weight(down 30 pounds since August), spend more time afield with my kids and dog, Finish my basement so all of this is ok with the boss

Since I was unable to archery elk hunt this year due to work schedule, I WILL BE archery elk hunting in 2019 somewhere!
-spring bear MT
-spring turkey Ohio
-whitetail Ohio
-usual out of state points building
-usual lottery donations

Tough to know until the draws are done.

My for sure hunts:

Montana deer.
Wyoming deer, pronghorn, elk.
Have an invite to hunt Illinois deer, going to do that.
I should be in the top point pool to draw the sheep tag in Wyoming I want, I'm not getting any younger and need to get this one done.

Draw stuff:

NV elk, deer, pronghorn, sheep
UT Sheep, elk, deer, bison
WY bison, sheep, goat, pronghorn, elk, deer
MT moose, sheep, goat, special deer, elk b (and not for the elk).
CO Sheep, deer, maybe elk
ID moose, and maybe hunt whitetails if time permits.
AZ Hope this is the year I draw Rocky Mountain Bighorn and be done with sheep applications there, deer, elk, pronghorn.
NM always a debate, but likely wont apply for anything there

Put in for a few super raffle tags in MT, ID, WY, etc...never know.

If time permits wouldn't mind trying Nebraska whitetail, live so close its almost dumb not to give it a go.

I'm done applying for points only from here on out.

Wow Buzz. I thought I spent a lot of money on applications and tags every year, but that list puts me to shame.

My 2019 schedule:
February AZ javelina. Already drew that tag.
Definitely putting in for elk in AZ (rifle)
Definitely putting in for elk & pronghorn in NM (rifle)
AZ rifle Coues deer

I may be able to squeeze in a Colorado 2nd rifle deer hunt. Currently have three points or may use those points towards a Sept muzzy deer hunt.

Considering putting in for WY antelope. Currently have three points.

Last edited:
MN spring turkey
MN archery deer
Wyoming deer
Wyoming Antelope doe
Possibly Wyoming cow elk.
Points in AZ, CO, WY

Already have my Idaho salmon zone b tag, first western hunt!
Illinois archery whitetail
Illinois firearm whitetail
Jan and feb Illinois coyote
And maybe a spring Idaho bear hunt/elk scouting trip

Oh and lots of cardio since I’m a flat lander getting ready to go to the mountains.

The plan as of now is Wyoming antelope the first week of October and then Colorado elk. I will put in for elk, mule deer, and antlope in New Mexico for long shot tags. Then buy points in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.

NM Bighorn
AZ Bighorn
WY Bighorn
NV Bighorn
ND Bighorn
MT Bighorn
UT San Juan Elk
Oughta be divorced before that's all said and done.

My highlight for 2019 will be finally fulfilling what has been my greatest hunting aspiration for longer than any hunting dream I've had - Mountain Caribou. After that is crossed off my list, in 202 I will go back to being a deer/elk/antelope guy, content to retrace a lot of the tracks I've made on past hunts. I will do the normal drill of carpeting bombing (Greenhorn's term) the west with applications, possibly picking up a cool tag here or there. If no tags come my way, I will have my MT elk/deer general tags and I suspect I will get to tag along on some hunts with family and friends.

Hope all your mail boxes are stuffed with tags in 2019.

Staying at home in good old blightly, reflecting on my 2018 season, meeting up with Brymoore over here, chasing some deer, but not coming back to Montana, I will leave that to you guys.
Good luck with your draws, and have a festive season, and good health in 2019.
Cheers
Richard

Back