Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Elk 2019

MMRemington

Hey All,

Question about next year's season & controlled hunts in Idaho. Do any of you "team up" for tags? For example - I enter my name in a hat for this, that, and the other zone, and "Hunt Friend A" does the same. If we both get tags, cool & great, we'll go do our hunts how we want, but if one of us gets a tag and the other doesn't, we agree that we'll go on that hunt together and if it's successful, we split it up (cost / meat / etc).

Just curious what other folks do. I don't really have anyone I'd go with if I were to get a tag, but thought maybe I could preemptively make an "alliance"!? I really just wanna go elk or deer hunting, and want to learn more about it with first hand experience. Feel like if I don't get a tag, I won't get a chance to learn more, so am thinking of ways to better my odds.

Sorry if the post is out of line. Didn't really know where else to ask though! Thanks in advance for any info & input y'all have.

-MMRem

For a second I thought this was talking about group applications which I do all the time with friends and family. I'm sure it's more nuanced than this, but my understanding is that, with a group application, if one person draws then everyone gets a tag. It sounds like that's your best option.

But I also know guys that will tag along on a hunt without a tag (and without carrying a weapon, to be clear) just because they like getting outdoors.

I think separately applying for the same tags, as you described, would be a good way to increase the chance of one of you getting to hunt and both going for the learning experience.

Not a bad strategy. For easier to get tags we apply as a group sometimes.

For harder to draw tags, we apply separately. Splitting gas and meat is never poor etiquette.

I'm in Boise also and this sounds like a great idea. Depending what gets drawn and where I'd be up for either going and both hunting or going to each other's hunts and trying to team up to make the hunt and work easier.

Ok, cool. So you can apply as a group and if one person in that group gets drawn, everyone gets a tag (for that same zone / season etc)?

Good to know. As the draw gets closer, I'll probably be looking to get in on one or two of those group entries!

Thanks for the input & info everyone, much appreciated.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Basically, if I get drawn, you'd still come along and help with the work / hunt / packing in & out etc. I'd obviously have to take the shot, but we'd split the meat 50/50. If you get drawn and I don't, I'd come along to help with everything, you'd take the shot, but we'd split the meat 50/50. If we both draw, we can both take shots or plan two different hunts, one where you'd be the "hunter", then one where I would. That sort of thing.

Will keep this thought in my mind as the draw for next year gets closer. I'm certainly open to it though!

I just bought my first ever elk tag. OTC Idaho b tag 2019. I tried for years to get a buddy to go with me. Even offered to buy a tag for a hunting partner one year. No one wanted to go. Finally decided to just go solo. Wish I had done this years ago. Get out there and enjoy it and learn as you go. That’s what I plan on doing. Doesn’t have to be a draw tag to be a special hunt.

Ok, cool. So you can apply as a group and if one person in that group gets drawn, everyone gets a tag (for that same zone / season etc)?

Good to know. As the draw gets closer, I'll probably be looking to get in on one or two of those group entries!

Thanks for the input & info everyone, much appreciated.

That is not how the drawings work in Idaho, although it is a common misconception.
When more than 1 hunter applies on a group application you are all on the same application number. You are drawn as a group not as individuals who are part of a group.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/question/whe...persons-license-number-get-entered-drawing-or

"Each application is assigned a number. The application is entered into the drawing system one time regardless of applicant group size. If you have one hunter or 4 hunters on an application the system will only have one record in the drawing. If a group application is selected during the draw process, the system looks to see if there are enough tags still available in the hunt applied for. If there are, the system awards a tag to each individual on the application."

As idelkslayer infers, your odds of drawing a tag goes down if applied as a group. 4 individuals have 4 separate numbers entered in the draw while a group app only has 1 number entered. Further, if only 3 or fewer tags remain when your group of 4 is drawn, no tags are issued and another number is drawn.
The real attraction of the group application is everyone is assured the same result, either everyone gets a tag or no one gets a tag.

I just bought my first ever elk tag. OTC Idaho b tag 2019. I tried for years to get a buddy to go with me. Even offered to buy a tag for a hunting partner one year. No one wanted to go. Finally decided to just go solo. Wish I had done this years ago. Get out there and enjoy it and learn as you go. That’s what I plan on doing. Doesn’t have to be a draw tag to be a special hunt.

Ditto Brother, I feel your pain. I just bought my Idaho OTC Archery tag too.

Picked up my A-tag a couple weeks ago. I'll be going solo again. Don't forget to apply for a controlled hunt. Unfortunately for me, I'm on the wait list for the second time so I cannot apply. It's exhausting drawing good controlled tags in Idaho!!!:cool:

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntND90
Back