PEAX Equipment

1st time going west, what to do?!?!?!?

bpitt

So I've fly-fished Colorado, once. That's it. Currently hunt deer/hog/turkey/squirrel/rabbit/dove, etc, in south Mississippi. My wife and I are looking for some suggestions for a 1st time western hunt (yes, my wife is awesome). The lowdown; I have an old friend from high school, who I used to hunt with back in the day, that just moved to Pocatello, Idaho. He suggested we come there and hunt, but I know nothing of the area, nor does he, he's literally just moved there. I eventually want to do an elk hunt, but was told I might want to start with either a mule deer, whitetail, or pronghorn hunt to 'get my feet wet out west'. I don't mind taking a doe or a cow elk, I just want to hunt. I have a bow, I have a .50 cal traditional muzzleloader, we have a .270 and a .243. I've taken deer to near 300 yards, no further. I don't mind an OTC hunt, if I have a decent chance of seeing something. I don't mind hiking, as I usually take a week and hike along the A.T. back east, usually with 30-40 pounds of supplies in my pack. I have backpacking/camping gear, I've shit in the woods, and I don't mind filtering water and walking all day, for what it's worth. Can anyone recommend a 1st time western hunt/destination? I plan on driving out. I can either car camp, pitch a tent, or stay at a hotel/bunkhouse. Can't really afford a fully guided trip (got two in college). Help! I know application time is fast approaching!

If he's a tolerable hunting partner, I'd go out and hunt with your old buddy. He may not know much of the area around him now, but he may in a few years, and could be a good long-term strategy to hunt all of those species you listed off with local knowledge and a warm bed at night.

A DIY pronghorn hunt is a good way to go too. You and your wife can apply and maybe both pull tags, but if either of you do then you both get to go on a hunt together. Wy has the most antelope but they are not the least expensive state for tags. The Wy F&G website has lots of information on draw odds for different hunt units, public land access, etc. It's not always intuitively obvious where to look for it on the website but there is a whole lot of info there. The license and tag process in the western states is VERY different from the eastern states. Your license/tag will be for a specific area (hunt unit or units) of the state. I did a guided pronghorn hunt a few years ago and then again this year as a DIY. Both were successful and a lot of fun. Pronghorn are all over Wy. What makes a good hunt unit is lots of public land. Draw odds for those units are low without preference points and points take time and $ to accumulate. Areas with limited public land may have odds on the order of 80%. You will have to do your homework to find places to hunt but should have no problem being successful as long as you are not looking for a trophy. I drew a tag in one of the areas with limited public land in eastern Wy and killed a doe early in the morning on the 2nd day of the season. BTW, antelope is excellent eating, don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

You should be able to draw a cow elk tag in WY not far from Pocatello.

Louisiana Native here but now live in AZ. I went for a cow tag before I built up a ton of points. I think it was a great choice. Got my first hunt in and family is now enjoying delicious elk meat. Had tenderloin last Saturday and elk burgers on Sunday.

Louisiana Native here but now live in AZ. I went for a cow tag before I built up a ton of points. I think it was a great choice. Got my first hunt in and family is now enjoying delicious elk meat. Had tenderloin last Saturday and elk burgers on Sunday.

What state did you do for your first hunt?

Go hunt OTC elk in Idaho with your buddy out of Pocatello. You guys will have a blast and should certainly get into some bulls. :)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back