Late Season Idaho Bulls

ida homer

My main hunting buddy had a late season bull tag. The driest fall in the last 10 years made it difficult. With only an inch of snow at 11,000 feet, good bulls were even tougher to find than normal. The bachelor groups were between 9k and 10k. My buddy had already put in 4 days, I showed up for days 5-7 to help glass.

Clear and cold, bachelor group up high on the morning of day 5.

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

The best bull was about 290 I think, but his main beam on his passenger side was broken off around his 3rd. Justin decided to pass.

Day 6, we explored new country to look for bigger bulls. Looked promising, but no elk spotted.

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg

My first season with the new (to me) camper, my best buy of 2018. Cooking in it is a real game changer, instead of having to freeze outside in a vestibule in the wind and 0 degree temps.

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image6.jpg

Morning of day 7, Justin's getting a tad burned out I can tell. Last hunt of the season. We decide to go look for the broken bull again. We find the same bachelor group, but can't find the broken 6. Justin shoots a small 6x6. A quick double lung at a healthy distance and that was a wrap on our 2018 big game season.

thumbnail_image3 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image4 (1).jpg

thumbnail_image5 (1).jpg

Overcooked the tenderloin by 1 minute :( But offset that with the world's most refreshing beer, elk chili, loaded baked potato salad, sauteed onions & Texas toast!

thumbnail_image8.jpg

thumbnail_image7.png

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 687
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 687
  • thumbnail_image3.jpg
    thumbnail_image3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 688
  • thumbnail_image4.jpg
    thumbnail_image4.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 689
  • thumbnail_image7.jpg
    thumbnail_image7.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 685
  • thumbnail_image8.jpg
    thumbnail_image8.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 683
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 682
  • thumbnail_image6.jpg
    thumbnail_image6.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 683
  • thumbnail_image10.jpg
    thumbnail_image10.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 683
  • thumbnail_image9.jpg
    thumbnail_image9.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 684
  • thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 685
Congrats to you and your buddy! Having someplace warm and dry to sleep and cook is also my preference. If you guys were miserable your buddy might not have hung in there for 7 days.

Ah, I remember the days when I was a young bachelor and ate my venison with fork and hunting knife.

You guys had a hell of a season! Great stuff!

Congrats to you and your buddy! Having someplace warm and dry to sleep and cook is also my preference. If you guys were miserable your buddy might not have hung in there for 7 days.

100%

Ah, I remember the days when I was a young bachelor and ate my venison with fork and hunting knife.

The fresh fruit on the counter is to throw guys off, so they don't know we're whippersnappers. So are the banquets, the 30 racks of natty ice aren't pictured!

Congrates to your buddy, twsnow18. Looks like we are starting to get some snow in the hills now.

Great recap. I question the beer choice, but the accommodations look superb

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back