Backcountry Shelter help.

Scott85

I'm looking at 2 shelters for use for solo trips with a stove. I am really torn between the Supertarp and the SeekOutside Silvertip. The Silvertip has 70 SQ Feet and I'm sure the Super tarp is going to close to about the same footage. This will be the second of a 2 part shelter system depending on if I have guest. the other shelter is a Sawtooth, but I can't justify the extra 2 pounds when its just me. I'm kinda leaning towards the Supertarp with annex because of its versatility. Which one should I go with? Thanks for the help.

I have no experience with the silver tip, but have been using the supertarp for the past three years. I really enjoy it. I use it with the annex every time, just personal preference. I have not used the stove yet. I mostly backpack from the summer to mid September here in CO.

Either will be a very good shelter. With already having a kifaru maybe keep it consistent?

I bought a Cimarron and paired it with a medium Ti Goat WiFi last summer. I called SO a couple times with questions/concerns beforehand, and they were super helpful. I really like it. It is 11 oz heavier than the Silvertip but has a little more real-estate under the canopy. When I was shopping I figured that with a sleeping pad, gear, stove and pile of wood in a 2 person setup things would be a little tight. Also, if you ever do have a second person having two doors is nice.

If I decide to sell my SO I’d probably take the weight penalty and go with a Sawtooth. They seem to be pretty bulletproof with room to stand. But, I’m not exactly an ounce counter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back