Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Woodworking Hunt Talkers?

There were a bunch of people on here mentioning that they wanted to build a strip canoe or kayak. When I graduated from college I wanted to do that too. I was living with my parents at them time and my dad said if he was going to help me build a boat it had to be big enough for both of us. We ended up building a 10' sail boat. It was a very fun project, we bought a set of blue prints and a VHS tape showing how to do some of the steps. We started working on it Memorial Day weekend and had it in the water on Labor Day weekend. This was back in 2000. In 2013 Dad was bringing it to a family get together at a lake and about 5 miles away from the lake, his trailer popped off the hitch and the boat ended up skidding across a two-lane country road about 70 yards. Cracked the seams between the strakes on one side and busted the center laminated cross beam.

Last Christmas I realized that my daughters had never ridden in the boat and it was a shame we never fixed it up. So at the end of deer season we started back on fixing it. Just after spring turkey season we had it fixed back up and repainted. This summer we took it out on a lake where the whole family had gathered together. There's a picture of the little boat under way.

Sailboat.jpg

I would still like to build a kayak, but now my daughters are telling me that they want to help me. So I might have to build 2 or 3 or 4...

This is NOT my work. I just think it is fascinating that someone would (and could) pull this off. [video=youtube;wezRoxocJhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezRoxocJhw[/video]

I've built a lot of things, no pics though. Gutted and remodeled my last house, made 3x different kitchen cabinet sets.

Haven'tdone much recently though. Have a couple hickory/walnut pyramid pedestal bases in the works though.

I finished up this boot jack for my dad. It is made of plum wood that I got out of a tree in his back yard. I woodburned some wheat onto it, because in his retirement he has become a wheat farmer and he'll use this to kick off his dusty boots at the end of the day. Almost too pretty to use.

Boot Jack.jpg

57D4EDD9-A0DA-4E62-AB26-4E49ED175CA8.jpgFADE5B3B-5983-43F5-9CD0-A8B570BBD3DC.jpg

I’m a carpenter, but I’m thinking about getting into woodworking so i can transition to something a little less demanding on my body down the line.
645D5A16-7D9A-4CCF-B0AE-107FCCA228D8.jpg

Attachments

• 509CECF2-990A-45B4-B192-74E4219FAB8F.jpg
    509CECF2-990A-45B4-B192-74E4219FAB8F.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 509CECF2-990A-45B4-B192-74E4219FAB8F.jpg
    509CECF2-990A-45B4-B192-74E4219FAB8F.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 289
Thanks! For the wood that will stabilize, I do. I send my black walnut, curly maple, and redwood burl to K and G in Arizona for stabilizing. I don’t stabilize olive and desert ironwood because they don’t stabilize well.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back