Caribou Gear

Upland!

Guy

50+ years since I started hunting "upland" game birds. I still remember those first few hunts with Dad for pheasant & more.

These days my 10 year old German Wirehaired Pointer "Clark" and I get out for chukar, quail, pheasant & grouse. You duck hunters can have that particular endeavor!

Mostly hunt central Washington these days, on the "dry side" of the Cascades. When I'm lucky, my youngest son accompanies me and we have a great time. I'm flattered that he still likes to hunt with me.

My son and Clark a few days ago, after pheasant. We got a few:
04dDqdvl.jpg

I'm praising Clark after a retrieve - he gets a hug and a scoobie. Pretty sure he's more interested in the treat.
1BVdd9Kl.jpg

Locked up on point! He held that bird long enough for me to snap the photo, then flush & shoot the bird!
n1ZMDPwl.jpg

My son, and Clark, and a bird:
8WSbU1tl.jpg

Pretty bird, pretty gun, and the mountains in the background. Love this stuff!
Bia8lGFl.jpg

7cCGAiQl.jpg

No Clark, I don't want to go down in there after those chukar!
hUHBW6Ml.jpg

Oh well, okay:
ZQ7XLFZl.jpg

Relaxing at home:
ihh1K2pl.jpg

Best dog I've ever had. He's slowing down now at ten years, but still a joy. Oh, the kid is pretty cool too.

Regards, Guy

Us dog and bird guys have it good. Just don't let it get out there.....
Bird hunting doesn't garner as much love on here as the horned, hooved and antlered pursuits. But that's better for us, don't see many controversial bird topics due to our gentlemanly nature:D.
Old dogs are special, got one that's 11+ and she's still going hard - got lucky with her.
Those Chukars are on my to do list. 43 years of chasin' birds for me, and I've never hunted 'em yet. Retirement is looming - I'll hopefully see 'senor soon.
Love the pics of a big (public?) country hard earned bird or two, and a good dog and/or shotgun. Take those any day over a bunch of guys and a pickup tailgate full of dead pheasants at a "rooster lodge".
Keep putting those WA bird hunting pics on here...........

Last edited:
Great pics! I too have an "ugly" dog and love following him after birds, just wish I had more birds to follow him after...

Love it. Been thinking about making a trip to the dry side of WA to look for birds next year or the year after. I love that Great Basin country.

I love seeing guys hunting with their dogs. And love even more seeing them hunting with their kids. But a guy with his kids and his dogs? Hard to beat! Thanks for sharing.

Upland hunting is my second favorite type of hunting! Great pictures!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back