Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Washington Bear

Guy

My son and I have been doing some bear hunting since about 2009. We've taken some nice black bear here, all on public land, spot and stalk. I did call one in with a predator call, and it came in with a serious attitude, but it was a little smaller than what I was seeking. Thankfully the bear didn't press the issue, and I was able to let it walk. It's been challenging, interesting, and rewarding to hunt them via spot and stalk.

A few photos:
MlMiIE4l.jpg

3g7LHFYl.jpg

His first bear, 2010, with a 1917 30-06 that's been in our family for four generations:
7T9ybBMl.jpg

Last one I took, 2016, with my 30-06 Remington 700:
BZKeiDwl.jpg

Lots of bears here in the northwest, and many of them are "color phase" bears, not just black. No bait and no dogs allowed though.

Regards, Guy

Really nice photos, I don’t know too many guys who focus on bears but it looks like you’ve got it figured out. Good job and thanks for posting.

You all hunt mostly in the fall unless you draw a spring tag, correct? There's been a few people on here wondering about hunting bear in the fall without bait, but since most people in here target other animals during that time of the year there wasn't much anyone could tell them.

You all hunt mostly in the fall unless you draw a spring tag, correct? There's been a few people on here wondering about hunting bear in the fall without bait, but since most people in here target other animals during that time of the year there wasn't much anyone could tell them.

Ah, I am a new member here and didn't see those other inquiries. Yes, all our black bear hunting has been in the fall. In Washington, much of the state bear season opens August 1st. The rest opens September 1st. I normally hunt them in early September.

Do so by finding the food source, normally berries that time of year. Old abandoned homesteads with orchards are another big draw for the bears.

Set up and glass, glass, glass some more. In a good area, it's not unusual to see several bears working an area. Then it becomes the ol' classic western "spot and stalk" routine. Work as close as possible, set up carefully, take the shot. It might be a long-range shot, it might be short.

I've also called in one bear with a predator call. That got pretty exciting. Got him to within about 20 yards! He came in with a serious attitude, and was smaller than I wanted to shoot. Fortunately he didn't press the issue and I didn't have to shoot him. Almost though... :) I want to do more of that.

Regards, Guy

Back