Yeti GOBOX Collection

Montana Gunsmiths

brendog84cj8

I have a Winchester Model 70 from around 1974 in 7mm Rem Mag that has been in my family since it was purchased and has been a go to rifle for me and has taken more game than I care to count. The gun has seen many rounds since new and I am starting to notice its not as consistent as it once was. Its a gun I want to continue to shoot and possibly hand down some day.

Having said that I am considering having the gun re-barreled. I live in the Bitterroot Valley, work in Missoula, however I get around the state and am not worried about possibly having to travel to work with the right gunsmith.

I thought I would see if any fellow Montana members have any recommendations for a Gunsmith they would put their name behind? I would like to find someone who does quality work, stands behind it, is timely, trustworthy, honest and communicates with their customers. (yes I am aware this may be asking a lot)

Any recommendations anyone may have, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've had two guns re-barreled by Dennis Erhardt in Helena with fantastic results.

Not much of a talker, but a darned good smith.

I'll second Dan Coffin. He's answered questions for me a few times and has built a couple of guns for a buddy.

Is Dennis Erhardt in Helena still making rifle barrels? My new 300wm has an octagon barrel stamped D.A. Erhardt and it's a heck of a tack driver!

Is Dennis Erhardt in Helena still making rifle barrels? My new 300wm has an octagon barrel stamped D.A. Erhardt and it's a heck of a tack driver!

Mine have all been Douglass air-gauged barrels he's either shaped or put on. Both of them shoot well under an inch. He shaped the octagonal bbl for my whelen to match the profile of the original pre-war german bbl that was eroded at the throat.

IMG_0396.jpg

Bob Petersen (Missoula) does great work! Petersen Precision Rifles - 406-360-4765

Doug Wells (Huson) also does great work.

I'll throw another vote in for Dennis Erhardt. He rebuilt my dad's mauser 30-06 for me for his father's day present. He told me the old mauser rifles are his favorite to build, so I would say he would be happy to take care of an old Winchester. His prices are great too, he only charged me like 40 bucks to work over the trigger in my ruger.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back