PEAX Equipment

My Idaho Story

Idhikker

Like half of the hunters from Boise, I grew up hunting unit 39. There were deer and elk and zillions of hunters. You have to really adjust to hunting pressure and get away from roads and trails. A few years ago I left for greener pastures, specifically the backcountry of the Middle Fork Zone. What I found was less hunters, especially in the years when wolves were still a real issue and now the hunter numbers are over 1000 and climbing. I saw significantly less deer and elk in the wilderness and they were normally smaller than what I'd been used to. Wilderness is so trendy and drawing nonresidents like crazy. What I found from my experience and talking to bios is the backcountry numbers are lower than frontcountry areas because of increased predation back where people can't get to on winter range.

So I'm back to 39. If anyone wants to share info on 39. I'm happy to let you know what's worked for me, including for spring bear. If anyone wants to share info on the Middle Fork Zone, I can do that though it'll be with some disclaimers about steepness and scarce game. PM is preferred.

Thanks.

Going to seem like I'm following you around...lol. 22, 32a, 32 was a bust. Weather had a lot to do with it, even though there were a few killed the week we were there. My buddy hunted 39 last year and said its a great unit for those that want to get off the trails. Had plenty of elk pushed to them from ATV riders and road hunters. As the season gets closer I'll reach to you with the area that worked for him and bouncy off of what you know as well. He didn't get a Bull but help one of the guys in his group pack out a 6x6 and seen plenty of deer/cows.

I saw significantly less deer and elk in the wilderness and they were normally smaller than what I'd been used to. Wilderness is so trendy and drawing nonresidents like crazy. What I found from my experience and talking to bios is the backcountry numbers are lower than frontcountry areas because of increased predation back where people can't get to on winter range.

So I'm back to 39. If anyone wants to share info on 39. I'm happy to let you know what's worked for me, including for spring bear. If anyone wants to share info on the Middle Fork Zone, I can do that though it'll be with some disclaimers about steepness and scarce game. PM is preferred.

Thanks.

This echoes my experiences over the last 3 years. Spend a full day, 8-10 hours of hiking, just to get to your camp spot to find another dude with OnX, Crispi boots and 15's on a tripod.

Our front country spots where we camp at the truck just seem to be holding more game and a better age class. I may end up in 39 with a rifle bull tag in 2019, if I can't get a Sawtooth tag. PM sent.

I'm using Idaho as my backup plan this year.Planned to get a diamond Creek tag but they were gone in 8 hours.Ive hunted Wyoming,Montana, Colorado and New Mexico over the past 12 years.I have yet to run into any groups of people in the Backcountry.I use main trails to get a little distance in,but then try and get a 1/2 mile to mile from those minimum.Anyone I've seen any distance in was close to a hiking trail.Alot of times I don't have to go in on those trails far before hoping off and getting distance away from them to find my space and huntable elk numbers.The new age Backcountry hunters may go in far but seem scared to go far from main trails
Hopefully, what's worked for me everywhere else will work in Idaho.Im real interested in hunting and visiting your state.Checking out new places is one of the main reasons I hunt now

Anybody have any experience in ID 33? I'd like to get away from the crowds as well, and personally, that would be more important than finding a bunch of elk. Just getting out off the grid is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most (new to the sport), so I'd be bummed to get out there and then find out I have neighbors right after setting up camp. If people roll up on you, do they generally keep moving, or have you ever had someone just stop because that was "the spot" they wanted & planned for?

Like half of the hunters from Boise, I grew up hunting unit 39. There were deer and elk and zillions of hunters. You have to really adjust to hunting pressure and get away from roads and trails. A few years ago I left for greener pastures, specifically the backcountry of the Middle Fork Zone. What I found was less hunters, especially in the years when wolves were still a real issue and now the hunter numbers are over 1000 and climbing. I saw significantly less deer and elk in the wilderness and they were normally smaller than what I'd been used to. Wilderness is so trendy and drawing nonresidents like crazy. What I found from my experience and talking to bios is the backcountry numbers are lower than frontcountry areas because of increased predation back where people can't get to on winter range.

Thanks.
I’m gonna try hunting unit 39 this year as my first time hunting. I’m doing a over the counter tag.

Last edited:
Sorry I edited it. Is there private messaging?

If was going to hunt 39 (and I'm not), there are a dozen places I would go to look for a buck. But it depends on what you want. Just a meat buck or a trophy? With all the fires in the past 10 years, there are plenty of meat bucks hanging around old burns. Pick a nice spot and sit, glass a lot. Be patient, and you won't get skunked.

Coming from Utah, I must say Idaho has over the counter elk opportunity coming out the wazoo! The Boise zone, Mcall Zone, and Weiser River A tags are the equivalent of limited entry tags in Utah. The nice thing about Idaho is you can kill an over the counter bull every year.

In Utah you are lucky to get a bull every 7 years. I too have hunted the Middlefork zone a lot and my success ratio is 100% but these bulls are by far the hardest elk I have ever worked for. 5 day pack outs feel like approaching the gates of Mordor. The country is so steep and rugged that antlers always shatter and break and meat is smashed to hamburger. I have had friends bail on me and quit within the first half day hunting after driving from out of State. Blisters, cramps, lost horses, bears raiding tents, altitude sickness, crashing flies, biting ants, stinging wasps, poison ivy, capsized rafts and a feeling of being so far from rescue are constantly being held at bay.

Unit 39 is gigantic! No matter how many residents hunt it you can have entire mountains to yourself. The elk are abundant. Age classes and genetics are better.

All I can say is Idaho is way better than Utah! Hunting bulls that are protected into maturity every 20 years waiting for your name to be pulled out of a hat in Utah is a nightmare and detracts from what hunting is all about.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good Intel Nambaster! I haven't hunted Idaho in decades but it's on my very soon list.

We have a part time home in Utah which is in the Zion unit, an OTC elk unit. But good luck getting permission, or even paying a trespass fee to hunt any of it. The most elk populated units in the north are also covered with hunters. Idaho by far is a better choice but I'm definitely not a fan of their new OTC tag goat rope. Just my. 02.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back